Off Topic -- For those of us who like the unusual

“We control the vertical.
We control the horizontal.”

How many of us even remember when TV’s had those adjustments?

8 Likes

“We now return control of your television to you.”

3 Likes

Yep – and “rabbit ears” on top, and 3 channels – maybe 4 if you were lucky, and alternate dial rings for UHF and VHF…

1 Like

Yes, 3 channels that went off at 10 pm. Remember looking at the test pattern Saturday morning as you waited for the channels to go live again so you could watch the cartoons?

6 Likes

No way! Definitely before my time, I’m pretty sure I never had to wait for channels to go live (though I do remember them shutting down late at night).

By the time I got up on Saturday mornings, the School House was already rocking out, Sleeztak were slithering, Scooby Doo & crew were solving mysteries, Fat Albert was saying “Hey, hey, hey!”, and the Wonder Twins were activated :wink:

5 Likes

Ahhh… then you missed the halcyon cartoon days of Space Angel and Clutch Cargo :wink:

3 Likes

I do remember (kind of) growing to love this image on a Sunday morning.

5 Likes

Never saw this until they ran Life on Mars on BBC America several years ago.
Great Show, The American adaption sucked as most do.

2 Likes

And wondering what the test patterns were that just had different-brightness grey bars. There would be the national anthem, and then reruns of Colonel Bleep (whose time machine always seemed to take him to Somewhere Over France, 1918).

3 Likes

Sesame Street, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact… all the PBS stuff for kids that was on circa 1980

oh, and Today’s Special, a weird Canadian show about a department store at night with creepy puppets and a mannequin who came to life. I think it was on Nickelodeon. And Pinwheel, also probably on Nickelodeon. I still remember the theme song to that one. (“Pinwheel, pinwheel, spinning around…”)

4 Likes

Those weather balloon monsters still give me anxiety every time I watch it.

4 Likes

Car 54, where ARE you???

2 Likes

Yeah buddy!

Fireball XL-5
Secret Squirrel
Jonny Quest
Space Ghost
Time Tunnel
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Land of the Giants
Fantastic Voyage (cartoon version)
… and so on!

3 Likes

CMDF (Combined Miniature Defense Forces)

If you look carefully in the movie, you will see this on one of the facility walls or mission patches as well.

1 Like

Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood
Sesame Street
I remember finding Space Giants. An awesome Japanese show with giant robots from space that lived in a volcano here on Earth. Goldar, Silvar, and Gam. There was a human kid named Miko. Gam and Miko were good friends. Miko was always getting into trouble. He had a whistle he could blow to call the space giants. If I remember correct, 1 blow meant he wanted to hang with Gam. 2 blows meant something else. And 3 meant HELP!

2 Likes

changed for the kiddos, btw. In the book it was “Deterrent” forces – nod to the cold-war in progress.

2 Likes

Banana Splits.

Used to like all the Hannah-Barbera cartoons.
SIZE OF AN ELEPHANT!:grin:

4 Likes

Here’s a few:
H.R. Puff & Stuff

Land of the Lost

The Bugaloos

Then there were the normal ones, Seseme street, Mr Rogers, etc. the world changed whenI found Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica,

and Mork and Mindy (Rest in Peace Robin :cry: )

7 Likes

Wilma in the 25th Century, oh my… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Ohhh yeaaaaa… it was a toss up between her and daisy duke :heart_eyes:

1 Like