Offline with no Resolve

Came into to work today and did the same as everyday… cleaned all the lenses and turned on the machine. Today it will not change from “offline” in the app. I’ve tried the disconnecting and reconnecting everything, it still says offline. I went through the setup steps and the button will not turn teal, no matter how long I try to hold it down or how many times I turn it off (unplug) and try again… any advice? Is my machine dead?

1 Like

Well… it’s been 2 hours and I left the machine on, just in case… it just popped up as online!!! Hopefully everything is good now!

It probably had an update - though 2 hours is long!

Hi @twinmommycreations,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge had some connectivity trouble this morning.

I took a look at the logs for your unit and it looks like your Glowforge was able to connect successfully to your network, but was having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again , but you may see an “Offline” message.

In these logs we have a record of the average signal strength the Glowforge is capturing from the network it’s connected to. On average, this signal strength has been low over the last week, with average strength at around -70dBm as of today .

For more context, on networks with very good signal strength, this will often run closer to -30dBm. A signal strength at -70dBm or lower would be very difficult to stay connected to.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I see that you are actively printing now, but if you run into any further trouble, please try the steps above and they should get you back online. I’ll leave your ticket open a bit longer just in case you run into any further trouble. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Similar situation happened to me in the last 2 days - and now my GF stays offline for exactly 30 minutes before cycling back on… hoping to hear more from others who have encountered this problem and successfully overcome the issue.
Here’s my post from last night: Offline for 30 min. after EVERY PRINT

1 Like

Hey there @twinmommycreations,

We haven’t heard back from you, so I wanted to check in and see how things are going.

I just took a look at the logs for your unit and it looks like your Glowforge is now connected and you’ve been able to print since contacting us. That’s great!

Could you please let me know if you’re still experiencing any problems?

Hey Morgan,

Sorry about that. Everything seems to be working fine. Some days it takes longer to connect, but figuring it’s an internet issue and not a GF issue.

Thank you so much for all your help,
Ann

Hey @twinmommycreations,

That is great news, thank you for letting me know. Since the trouble looks to be resolved, I’m going to go ahead and close this thread now.

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!