Paisley Guitar

yes, the body on this guitar is poplar.

the pattern started as a tileable texture from adobe stock. but i did a lot of photoshop to get it to be the right grayscale to 3D engrave.

i did basically hat you suggested to get the shape. but any degree off from perfectly perpendicular can throw off the curves. if it as a smaller object, it would be easier, because i could more easily print/compare on my printer. but because i don’t have a large format printer, i had to tile, which also has potential distortion issues.

5 Likes

the engrave? about 90 minutes total. the design process was a lot longer. : )

4 Likes

Man, that’s not too long at all. Now you’ve got me into the consideration faze. Again, really super job. Also, thanks for all the inspiration you have given me and others.

4 Likes

fwiw, i haven’t engraved a finished guitar body yet. i have an old beater body that was a sacrifice (it gave up a neck and hardware for another build) that i have some testing plans for, but haven’t done it yet. it’s got a black lacquer finish on it, so i’m really curious how that’s gonna turn out.

3 Likes

OH MY GOSH.

The twins are starting guitar lessons and their guitars arrive monday… I’m going to show them this as a “what you can aspire to” inspiration!

14 Likes

I can’t even begin tell you how impressive this is! Wow!

1 Like

Stunning! :astonished: :astonished: :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Stunning!!!

1 Like

Absolutely friggin beautiful! Wonderful job on this!

1 Like

Oh look! A Rabbit! Let’s see where it takes me!

6 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous! Your guitar work is most definitely at the top of my favorites list.

3 Likes

Oh wow, you totally nailed it! Part of me wants to float an opaque turquoise resin in the voids then polish the whole thing up to a mirror finish, but it’s probably mush better as it is. I’m just resin-crazy right now.

2 Likes

What type of file did you use and settings? It is gorgeous. Have you tried a guitar that is painted?

1 Like

It was a highly modified repeating pattern tile. This guitar was painted first with a whitewash.

1 Like

Your guitar is so beautiful. My engrave didn’t get as deep as yours. Not sure I want to show mine compared to your.

1 Like

deep is just a function of power/speed combo. if you want deeper, slow it down and/or use more power. what makes this work is that it has grayscale gradients so the depth is gradual and dimensional, not just a single depth.

3 Likes

Thank you so much

How do you do dimensional ? Software? File type, stl or svg?

in this case, i started with a tile i downloaded from adobe stock that had some grayscale shadows in it and used photoshop to exaggerate it. and many, many test tile prints until i got it right. i don’t have the technical skills to create a true depth map.

2 Likes

Ok thanks