Paper Star Generator

I end up messing around with paper stars around this time about every other year. This year, I noticed that Bleeptrack is playing with them, too. She built a paper star generator explicitly for making laser-cut paper stars. You can adjust various parameters for the lattice design and the number of points. Patterns download as SVGs.

https://a-star.bleeptrack.de/

It is all open source with the code up on Github.

Bleeptrack has a video about this here:

34 Likes

Cool! I’ll give it a shot later :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s fantastic.

8 Likes

It’s pretty awful on mobile. I’ll have to check it tomorrow on my pc.

9 Likes

Thanks! I’m gonna try one. The generator is excruciatingly slow, but good things come at a cost, I know. :grimacing:

10 Likes

pretty cool! thanks!

8 Likes

I don’t have time to play with this right now, but I hope to spend some time in January exploring this.

10 Likes

How cool!

6 Likes

Well, I made one and it’s spectacular. I glued the final part of the entire thing together entirely wrong, but I know the error of my ways, so will know better next time. Because of the scoring, it actually folded quite well…even the whisper thin parts which I’m surprised didn’t even break. It’s 12" across…and with the small bed of the Aura, I could cut only two ‘points’ at once, but I love the outcome.

Thanks @evermorian!

17 Likes

Wow! That one looks great! Excellent work!

9 Likes

Thanks for the link! And the one you made is stunning!

8 Likes

Here’s my second one. Properly glued together this time, but man…what a pain the last two points are to get glued into place! Plus, no matter how clean I try to keep my fingers, I still got black soot from the cut edges on the white paper. Oh well…it’s still pretty.

15 Likes

This looks promising. Might be January for me also!

Marj you went to town! Those are beautiful!

9 Likes

Another beauty!

I feel your pain on the soot. I cut a lot of light-colored card stock. I use post-it tape or just wipe with a piece of shop towel (the blue, disposable stuff) while stuff is still in the machine after cutting (i.e., while it is still stuck down and the cut-out bits are in place to keep from wrecking delicate details) to get some of it out of the way but, the actual edges are hard.

7 Likes

I’ll try some of your cleaning finessing ideas. Hard to overlook that black on white look. :grimacing:

5 Likes

I did not use the generator for this. This is a simpler 2-piece design for the star. The color-cycling Circuit Sticker inside connects to a coin cell via conductive thread, which doubles as a hanger.

Still prototype-y but, pretty close to what I wanted.

16 Likes

All of those, @Xabbess and @evermorian, look beautiful! Love all the delicate details.

9 Likes

I put up a clip of the colors cycling, in case anyone is sufficiently bored:

13 Likes

This turned out beatuiflul! Is the entire star made up of only two pieces?

6 Likes

So pretty!

4 Likes