Parametric Box with Finger Joints - Fusion 360 file

I just don’t know ai well enough to know what would be the better workflow.
Being the F360 guy I’d put it all in a sketch and then export the sketch as a dxf to whatever for final treatment before printing.

I’ll be interested in what you do even if I’m not interested in the particular craft as I am interested in various rules and cursors.

Did you see that center finder I made? It was all done in F360 acept assigning colors which I did in Inkscape.

1 Like

That’s what I did with the heart valve for you, it is an onshape sketch which I exported as DXF

1 Like

Bookmarked!

Gosh. It’s a good thing I don’t have a firstborn son, because I think that’s the next thing they may require before starting a program up! Had installed F360 but never tried it out. So I downloaded the file and couldn’t find it and added the extension to it and finally tried to open it but F360 is updating now before I can open it.

I’m sure it will work fine after the update. Will report back. It’s a long update!

On the other hand, as I have been working with OnShape, It is a huge challenge to understand all the different labels for what goes into a model. But this is crucial for productivity. Watching @karalena whip out the outdoor lighting object was amazing.

I’m finding the 2D programs easy to use, but such a pain because everything has to change with materials.

1 Like

You can draw the lines in a sketch, use the rectangular pattern command to space them precisely, then export the sketch as a DXF.

2 Likes

I can give up my second born one pretty easily though… :grin:

4 Likes

Okay, that worked but only after I added the .f3d extension. Odd.

I’ll have to look for that one–it’s been awhile since you uploaded it.

Yeah, that’s why I’m trying to learn F360.

Thanks, I’ll try that! Can you parameterize the tick marks so you could make many different rulers?

1 Like

You can parameterize pretty much anything!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, @mpipes ! Parametric boxes are definitely on my learning list.

On another aside, as a better Sketchup than Fusion person, it’s probably not as painful to transition as I feared. Popped this case design out as a first project, and I’m reasonably impressed given my limited skill.

9 Likes

I really like how Fusion renders acrylic now. They must have made changes recently, i don’t remember it looking so nice.

4 Likes

Agreed, but I think it also depends on the render engine you go with. What I posted is with the raytracing engine. Their ‘faster’ engine is decent for “eh, screw it!” sort of renders, but doesn’t do transparencies very well; it tends to make (edit: the edges of) them more opaque, which is where raytracing is strongest.

3 Likes

For anyone that’s already downloaded the file, I JUST saved the latest version that now has the second model in the file, which has been adjusted for laser kerf. Don’t forget to set your own numbers for kerf, I pulled the 1mm out of thin air just to have a placeholder. Make sure to enter the full kerf width. The model parameters are already set up to add half the kerf to the perimeter.

Absolutely! The only thing I’m not sure about is if you want to change the units, say you designed it in inches and want to switch to metric. Fusion360 only deals with one set of units in a model, so Im not sure how it will handle changing the model’s units from one to another. Other parametric modeling programs will let you use any combination of units within a model as long as you enter the unit abbreviation after any dimensions.

2 Likes

It’s weird how some people get the .f3d extension on the file when they download it, but other people don’t. On my Mac it did end up with the right extension.

But… Fusion360 is kind of dumb and can’t open files directly. It claims the .f3d extension, but doesn’t tell the operating system that it can open them.

Here it is declaring that the “.f3d” extension is for a “Fusion 3D Design” file and specifying an icon for it to use:

But nowhere does it say “… and I own that filetype so please give it to me to open” which it would do by declaring its “document role” as “editor” for the type.

So the operating system knows what to call the file and what icon to use, but it won’t try to give the file to F360 to open it. So when you double-click the file the operating system just gives up and tries to open it in TextEdit, which then complains because it doesn’t see something that it knows how to deal with.

Autodesk probably should fix that.

Also, they should fix their website so that the Download button has a “save to my F360 cloud workspace” (or whatever they call it) option.

Edit:
Oh, and I just checked, and it turns out F360 can open the file just fine if you force it to. Here’s how I did so via the command line:

$ open -a Fusion360 /Users/tim/Downloads/Test\ Box.f3d

F360 opened it right up in a new tab.

So all Autodesk has to do is to set the document role correctly for the filetype and it would open these files when you double-click them. sigh I suppose I need to go figure out where to report bugs to Autodesk. They could quite literally fix this in 30 seconds.

Edit:
Ok, I emailed a bug report to Autodesk. Hopefully they edit the Info.plist file so double-clicking .f3d files on the Mac opens them in F360.

And if anyone from Autodesk happens to be reading this, here’s what needs to be added to F360’s Info.plist file to fix the bug:

<key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
<array>
        <dict>
                <key>LSItemContentTypes</key>
                <array>
                        <string>com.autodesk.forge.f3d</string>
                </array>
                <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
                <string>f3d.icns</string>
                <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
                <string>Fusion 3D Design</string>
                <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
                <string>Editor</string>
        </dict>
</array>
3 Likes

AutoDesk doesnt see this as anything that needs fixing. They want everybody to upload their content into the “cloud”.

In this case they need to add the “copy to my cloud storage” option to the Download button on their website.

It imports. Yah!

Now I just have to figure out how the heck this is made.

3 Likes

It still goes into the cloud, it’s just means you don’t use the upload button and hunt for it, but rather double click and it auto-uploads…

Way simpler way to accomplish this (for any file), just use the “Get Info” on a file in the finder. Now you may not have Fusion available as a choice (I didn’t) so select “Other” and on the open dialog, you need to navigate to your ACTUAL fusion application. Annoyingly they bury it under 2 aliases:

So, if you right click on the Fusion icon on the dock, select Options->show in finder. Now do get info on the document, and drag the fusion icon on the open dialog from the get-info on the document, you now have Fusion as a choice. If you then press Change All, the OS will forever remember all .f3d files as belonging to Fusion on open…

5 Likes

The simplest thing would be for Autodesk to spend 30 seconds fixing their broken app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The two halves of that phrase are NEVER compatible. Autodesk never does anything the simple way…

7 Likes