Pass Through print expired getting expensive

I’m trying to engrave a 20" x 40" x 1/4" piece of acrylic with the passthrough feature.
I cleaned the machine prior to each attempt. This is actually a brand new refurbished machine.
The first engrave works okay and then the second one comes around, lines up perfectly, then when that one is done, I’ll come back to the machine after 11 hours just to find the “PRINT HAS EXPIRED”
I’m getting VERY sick of this as this is the 4th attempt on this project.

Other than cropping my design, hoping that it lines up perfectly on the second go, is there any way to “save” this print?

Also, glowforge, if you’re listening, how about the option for some “pass through failure insurance”? Acrylic aint cheap and those other machines are looking pretty good right now.

I use a system that I did before there was pass-through. I break the design into ~10" pieces so they break at specific locations that are 90 degrees or do not connect where (unlike regular passthrough) they don’t have to be in the same line.

Then I line up the material against the right-hand rail so that holds the horizontal and the rotation fixed. Then at each cut, you have only the vertical to worry about. If you keep to the right-hand rail and only use the vertical arrow keys to move the design, the vertical is all you change.

Done this way I have more flexibility as a one mm error will not show as it will if the line is other than vertical or the break is unnecessary as it frequently is the case.
:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

GF staff do not participate here. They abandoned this site a few months back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.