Pause! Longer prints! Faster print prep! New Print UI!: 01/21/18 Latest Improvements

Sweet!

1 Like

yes, the phone call.

or those times when i have a choice of running the smoker and knowing i may need to go out and adjust vents and realizing i can either do that or run a job longer than 15 - 20 minutes, not both.

3 Likes

IMHO, it would be nice to have some of these things be selectable options. I know that one of the advantages of getting a Glowforge over other products is its simplicity for the end user, and adding a menu to select these things would complicate the process. That being said, I donā€™t see complicating it in this way would take away from those features.

Itā€™s been stated (repeatedly) that asking for it wonā€™t get it for you any sooner.

6 Likes

I have to agree that pause without being able to open it isnā€™t super helpful. Sure there might be the occasional doorbell ring, but the real problem pause would solve is some piece of masking is sticking up (it popped off) and is not brushing against the air-assist knocking the piece around. Iā€™d love to be able to pause, open, restick it down and resume. Seems a reasonable solution. But of course not sure if the lid opening changes things since it reshoots the image, etc.

6 Likes

You would just need to pause the entire machine state, right?

If=pause active
And lid opens, then no machine activity

Feel free to borrow my code, Glowforge :joy:

I can think of one thing about that situation though, the gantry would likely be right in the way. I doubt the gantry moves to back corner during pause. So it has its purposes, I can see, but also limitations and potential for a lot of user error. I agree, it would be nice though.

4 Likes

Good update. Pause is awesome. Prep time improvements is awesome. Longer prints are awesome, but I hope I donā€™t get lazy with my design because of itā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

i agree that itā€™s more helpful to be able to lift the lid (and iā€™d like to add my voice to the group asking for that). but how helpful it is to the masses without that obviously varies significantly.

2 Likes

This exactly.

1 Like

At least with pause I can slide a ruler in the front slot and try to stick the tape or masking down without trying to do it while dodging the head.

5 Likes

Amen to this

2 Likes

Mine is still previewing the old way

Pause!!! really good addition. thanks

I will miss the preview, but glad to trade it for faster prep.

Being that i have a basic, Iā€™d have to push really hard to get the ruler through the frontā€¦ :grin:

5 Likes

You should just make a poor manā€™s pass through that you just leave on. Add a magnetically attached slot cover and youā€™ll have half the pass through functionality of the Pro - just not the back slot.

Someone just posted a pic of theirs in the past few days. If I had a Basic Iā€™d have installed it when the machine arrived (I made one back in the PRU days). Itā€™s non-destructive so no warranty effect. (Which is why Iā€™m waiting on the fan grill-ectomy and possibly the bottom cut out.)

3 Likes

I assume thatā€™s because you basically are making a new door?

Yeah, Will definitely be removing the fan grill. I mean even my goats arenā€™t silly enough to stick their fingers into a spinning fan (especially one inside a duct) - and yes goats have fingers and they even have all 5, like all mammals, but only 2 stick out. My adult children are seriously unlikely to disconnect the hose and then stick their fingers into the fan. And if someone elseā€™s kid does, well what they heck are they doing in my workshop disassembling my laser cutter setup? Also for the record my goats arenā€™t tall enough to reach the fan, so safe there anyway.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Pause and longer print time is greatly appreciated. Any chance you can publish what the new maximum is?

Yes, rebooting the machine will abort the print.

2 Likes