Pause! Longer prints! Faster print prep! New Print UI!: 01/21/18 Latest Improvements

41 Likes

So, to be clear, there won’t be any video preview of the laser’s path anymore? Dang, I use that to make sure I didn’t miss turning a layer off or on. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to be extra careful now. Love this update, though! Especially the preparing print and pause functions!

With pause, I assume the machine must be left on? For example, if I need to leave the house, I’d pause the job and then leave it on and come back and initiate it again, correct?

3 Likes

Thanks @Rita - the pause will be excellent. I could use it just about every time I use the GF.

3 Likes

I agree the pause feature will be of great help. :+1:

1 Like

aw man. of course we get pause while my machine is back at the mothership!

seriously, though. long overdue and welcome. pause is a very important feature and i’m truly happy to see it here.

4 Likes

I too, liked this but if its faster that’s nice but gonna have to be careful. Maybe on that side bar they can do a mini preview if that won’t slow it down to much that would be nice.

1 Like

Thanks for all of y’alls hard work in continuing to improve our experience!

6 Likes

Wow! That’s a lotta cool stuff! I will be looking out for it, and thanks!

2 Likes

Good update! Thankful for the addition of pause…

1 Like

Awesome improvements!!

1 Like

Excellent.
It just keeps getting better, I’m loving how my tool continues to evolve!
Thank you Team :star_struck::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wonderful update…on all counts. Thank you team GF!

1 Like

So many 3d printers are talking about the pause and keep going where you left off the open door close door should be available. Just curious if there is a power failure the Glowforge keeps going from where it left off? So If you put it on pause and there was a power failure during which you opened the lid and closed it Would the machine know and could you unpause it at that time?

2 Likes

@Rita! Y’all rock.

This is my throttled Verizon MiFi after I blow through the 15gb of data in a few days…

Whatever you guys did to the motion plan file sizes - wow! It feels like I’m on “real” internet again.

6 Likes

so I can pause, but I can’t open the lid? Hmm. The need for pause without opening the lid == minimal. drats.

Oh, can I have snapmarks please?

1 Like

Couldn’t care less about pausing; especially if I can’t open the lid when paused. However, longer cut jobs is fantastic! A welcomed surprise. Nice job to those responsible for those algorithms!

Sure. But 3D printers are a completely different tool. Look at other laser cutters for comparison instead.

There is no non-volatile storage for cut jobs.

1 Like

while i’d like to be able to open the lid while paused, too, i completely disagree that the need to pause w/o opening the lid is minimal.

4 Likes

i’m listening…
the only one I can think of is “prints taking too long and I need to get to walmart before the pharmacy closes…”

2 Likes

i have to pee.

someone’s at the door.

your kids are being a PITA and you have to go stop the fighting.

time to go shift laundry.

anything you would need to walk away from the GF for longer than a moment. i’m sure it’s happened to people thousands of times. if you’re running a 3 hr job, the ability to pause it is valuable. there could be innumerable reasons.

14 Likes

It’s going to be handy to pause it when a call comes in that you don’t want to shout over too. Many thanks! :+1:

6 Likes