Pentagonal Hexecontahedron

That’s disappointing. Ah, well…

3 Likes

Usually they get posted to YouTube, but I don’t see it yet. If I do, I’ll post the link.

2 Likes

If you watch the livestream on FB right now, you’ll notice something living right over @dan’s right shoulder (left of your screen).

1 Like

Here is the link
On YouTube

6 Likes

This is amazing Chris! I found this very interesting your thought process behind this light up creation.

By the way, my Google mini just answered you about turning off the basement lights (we haven’t programmed those yet) and told you ‘it doesn’t look like that device has been set up yet’ (and she doesn’t just answer any random voice!) LOL

2 Likes

I saw the Pentagonal Hexecontahedron in the chat this week and asked my husband “what is that?!”; it wasn’t until today in another chat that @dan was in for the FFA on “how to build demand” that @twilightliliez told me how to find out what it was.

I applaud all the people that worked so hard on this surprise for the Glowforge team!! You made something amazing!! You all are amazing with all the effort you put into the community on a constant basis — you give people the nerve to try something that they might not have ever tried if you hadn’t given your personal input. You have no idea how much you inspire the rest of the community — and that goes for the Glowforge team as well! :partying_face:

Over the years I have made numerous trips to Makerspaces in my travels (CA, AZ, KS, MO, MI, IL) and have always heard about how difficult the learning curve is for laser cutters. I was assured my 3D printer (which I built) was child’s play compared to learning about running a laser!

When my boyfriend approached me, while in college (during the fundraising), to go in with him on a laser cutter, I really had serious doubts and questioned his motives. :slight_smile: He assured me he wasn’t going anywhere and the Glowforge video gave me hope (after all the little girl colored it and mom scanned it & cut it) — and with the education I received from the community, I was able to laser cut quite a few items for our wedding last year! (only limited by the time available!)

Another thing the community did was to bring out the Glowforge staff that we never see behind the scenes! That is awesome seeing you all.

I have never known anything in the digital realm in a “community forum” that truly is the true sense of a community; maybe we should have been “thevillage.glowforge.com” in the way you all have raised the rest of us. A heartfelt thank you to both the Glowforge Team and the Community.

16 Likes

Ever do something and then when you look back on it later it seems like it must have been someone else, because there’s no way you could have pulled that off?

14 Likes

This was a good reminder that I was going to put the files on GitHub. So I put the files on GitHub.

6 Likes

Hmm, someone else promised files. Who was that?

2 Likes

Yes. (Twitter convo – read from bottom up)

IMG_1725

8 Likes

Yes…when I built my first 3D printer from a pile of rods, screws, nuts, 3D printed parts, and it worked!! This was me in 2012 at the Google Fiber space when our Makerspace did a presentation for Google employees on 3D printing and technology in general. :wink: Small in comparison to what you all created — but my first tech build ever. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Newest live stream today, @dan pointed out the group project.

9 Likes

Anything else of note in the livestream? I wasn’t even aware there was one happening.

1 Like

I only watched for a few minutes, as it was very similar to past streams.

I wonder why they don’t advertise these in advance?

2 Likes

Here is the link

5 Likes

I just watched this again!

10 Likes

It certainly made my day / week / month! I just looked through the accompanying book again yesterday. :smile:

3 Likes

Bumping this up. The book may also be a good holiday gift for yourself, so this is a reminder to order one. I still think this is the funniest things:

12 Likes

And that’s still one of my favorites! (The bottom tile.) :smile:

5 Likes