Hey GF Community,
I am attempting to create, engrave and cut out an 18" Circle Map (of any city that the client chooses) on my GF Pro!
(will attach dropbox file link of current project) (Adobe Illustrator)
In my mind, the best way to create this file was to:
– make it to size in AI
– convert to SVG (PNG -> SVG via Advanced Image Trace)
– split the map and the circle outline evenly down the middle at 9"
(I have had great success with this in the past on simpler files where there is dead space, but a lot of the city maps have several roadways I am splitting)
– add a score line at 0", 9", 18" (so you can utilize that for alignment )
– Group the sides into:
Layer 1 (score lines), Layer 2 (left map), Layer 3 (left circle half), Layer 4 (right map), Layer 5 (right circle half)
– Make map and circle halves different colors (4 colors total)
– Rotate 90 degrees to the right, and save in AI as .SVG so it can digitally just be slid up and down on the GFUI with no X Axis movement necessary (as you leave the material positioned on the ride side of the machine and move straight up)
Issues I am running into:
– when I erase, I notice the slightest bump in the design when zooming in on AI at
1000% to check for alignment.
– When I overlap the designs even the slightest, the GFUI seems to read that as a “no engrave area” creating an UNEGRAVED LINE directly down the middle of my design at the 9" point where I digitally split it
Any and all help is appreciated as I am running the design on:
– 20" * 20" 1/4" Birch Plywood
– spray painted and masking taped with 12" JDS Tape to prevent burn
1000/70%/195lpi and the designs are taking at least 1.5hours for each side, resulting in over 3hours for each piece…
*** (any recommendation on how to speed up design time is certainly welcome as well!)