Periodic gift

Since he first posted This, I have wanted to make it. Thanks to @ppipa1 for the file, it worked great!
The frosted acrylic I had has a different texture to it so the colors didn’t come out as nice as his.

A Christmas gift for my Metallurgy & materials engineer Son. It is a puzzle, but I wanted to make it suitable for display in the “classroom” of his home where my grandchildren are homeschooled, so it is covered with another sheet of medium acrylic held on by magnets so the puzzle pieces don’t fall out.

61 Likes

It’s lovely!

It makes me feel really old, though, every time I’m reminded of how many more elements they are than when I took HS chemistry!

8 Likes

If I had this I’d probably assemble it periodically.
Hey, somebody was going to say it sooner or later might as well be me.

20 Likes

That is awesome :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I suppose it is in your elemental nature… :grinning:

12 Likes

When I took College Biology there were only two families, and they had just decided that Continental Drift was really a thing :unamused: And every time I see a mirror there is this horrified crazy old man staring back at me. I think the mirrors are all haunted. :astonished:

That puzzle is really high class!

13 Likes

He will love it! Especially that you made it.

4 Likes

That’s the superpower this laser gave me. Personalization. Make it - Don’t buy it. :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Like how you created a puzzle and a display!

2 Likes

The credit for the puzzle goes to @ppipa1, all I did was make the magnetic cover… paint the black… weed both sides of all of the pieces… color them, rebuild the puzzle repeatedly - yeah, there’s a piece of me in it. :grin:

11 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with your colors, the ones in your picture make it look like an antique. I really like it. :blush:

7 Likes

I’m ambi-valent about the puns but, not the project. Nice work!

10 Likes

Fantastic! I gotta make one too someday.

5 Likes

I see great work on the forum periodically and this is great! @geek2nurse is getting G’ma of the year for her work. I think this puts you in the lead for G’pa of the year!

8 Likes

Oh, gorgeous! So you colored the pieces with alcohol markers? Really came out great.

6 Likes

Yes, standard Sharpie. I didn’t have enough colors, but the blue is the same color. A second coat gave me what I needed. Same with the green. Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

Using the magnets to make a cover that can be removed when you want to assemble it was brilliant.

4 Likes

I wanted to make a removable cover but was stumped on how. I was stuck on other mechanical fasteners for some reason. Almost a day passed before it dawned on me - magnets!
I couldn’t believe how simple the resolution was, or how long it took for me to come up with it! :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

I so get this.

And now @jbmanning5 is just going to come along and buy a bigger RV from all the puzzle cover money he’s going to make :disappointed:

:joy:

5 Likes

This is a real beauty! Quite an elegant project…I think it turned out great.

4 Likes