PG Thick Acrylic Still Leaving a Burr

We I’ve posted about this previously and haven’t had improvement or a solution, so I wanted to mention it again since it’s still happening to me, but the result is slightly different. It was previously a burr type of thing but now it’s a bit more smooth - but still an issue of not cutting all the way through smoothly and always in about the same place.

Whenever I cut a circle like the piece you see below, it always leaves an odd burr or rough place somewhere around the 9 o’clock to 10 o’clock position.

Today I even ran two passes on the outside cut. But the circle still took a small tap to fall out rather than falling out on its own - so there’s clearly an issue somewhere.

5 Likes

curious to see what the answer is. Have you noticed if this “burr” is occurring near where the cut path for the circle starts and finishes?

4 Likes

I would looking into adding a small lead-in and lead-out. This is an extra little path used in machining to eliminate this type of defect when cutting with a milling machine. Just make a couple of short tangent curves for your lead-in and lead-out and set them up as all one path and the laser should start at one end of the lead-in, run around the circle, and end with the lead-out. I haven’t tried it though, so YMMV.

3 Likes

I’ve seen similar artifacts, though not as dramatic. They definitely occur at the start/end point on the circular cut.

2 Likes

A fix might be to rotate your art 90 degrees so at least the tick is at the bottom and is not visible when on display. I know its still a problem but at least you can create things you can use / present.

2 Likes

I thought about the same thing. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll try that.

That’s what I’ve been wondering too. Each time I totally forget about it and forget to watch where it starts/ends. Gotta make a note for next time.

1 Like

It happens on the Redsail. There’s even a setting to make it overshoot the end of the line to make sure it goes far enough to cut. You can get the same thing by overlapping a fraction of the curve with a duplicate (copy the original and then cut out an inch to drop on top of where the cut starts/stops).

1 Like

Thanks again for letting us know about this. We’ve seen this, too, and the team is looking into it. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more information right now.