Pick me! - Guitar keychain with a twist

Ask any guitar player and they will tell you that they have guitar picks lying around everywhere… Until they actually need one, then they’re nowhere. Here’s my solution to that:

!
2 layers of proofgrade maple ply with a layer of acrylic sandwiched between creates the perfect hidey-hole for up to 3 guitar pics. The guitar pick shows through the sound hole, to create a splash of color or unique texture that can be changed over and over again. Magnets are countersunk into the acrylic, and into the back side of the swiveling face to create a satisfying “snap” to close. (It also doubles as a fidget device). The leather strap piece is also cut with the Glowforge to nestle into the acrylic layer to be held in place with a perfectly sized chicago screw; which is tight enough to hold everything together while allowing the face to swivel open to dispense a pick. The clip allows this to be used as a key ring, a zipper pull, or a functional adornment to your guitar case.

There’s also an electric guitar version:

Bonus: Glowforge was also used to make a tiny clear guitar stand for the photo shoot, as well as the cardboard inserts for the presentation box.

115 Likes

Musicians everywhere are grinning! (And picking!) :smile:

5 Likes

Very nice!

4 Likes

This is so clever. These would make amazing gifts.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s awesome! Really dig the cardboard packaging holding in the box, too. Really creative stuff, thanks for sharing this.

4 Likes

…and the link to your store is??? :slight_smile:

Cuz while I could probably figure it out well enough to make one of my own, why reinvent the wheel? I have a few musicians in my life who could use these!

I think I found you, but they’re not there! (Love the Bike Slut shirt though, I’m sending that link to a friend right now!) https://www.etsy.com/shop/jDUCT

5 Likes

Ooooh, make the leather strap longer and engrave a fingerboard and frets!

8 Likes

Excellent execution!

3 Likes

Great concept and execution! Very nicely done.

3 Likes

That’s great! I know a few that would love that!

3 Likes

That is just the cutest idea ever! Nice execution too.

3 Likes

So, that’s what I need to make to sit on the mantle, on the desk, on the table, on the …

Totally fun and such an awesome use!

2 Likes

Absolutely love it.

2 Likes

Wow. Very unique, cool, and functional.

2 Likes

Very, very cool!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And the packaging for it is fabulous, too! :clap:

2 Likes

Wow, so cool! Every Musician should have one! :slight_smile: Well done!

3 Likes

Clever design!

1 Like

These are absolutely wonderful! My husband was a musician for many years and would have loved one of these. For myself, I just like them as a ‘charm’ or zipper pull as you suggested. They are such fun and so well made. (Just down the road from you in Silverton!..unless you’re in Maine. :smile:)

3 Likes

Oh, those are so cute and clever! You should do very well with them—they’re unique.

3 Likes

I doff my hat to you sir! Good work! ( I especially love the Strat style)