Pirates of the Caribbean-themed German candle pyramid

My wife wanted a German candle pyramid for a while and I figured; since our living room is Pirates of the Caribbean themed, why not kill two parrots with one laser.

This features pirates and wenches from the original, un-P.C. version along with the lamps, railings, signage and talking skull (“fairly warned, ye be, says I!”) from the attraction. The top is Captain Jack Sparrow’s compass (the needle inside also spins).

Took 10 months of off and on design and trial and error to design and a week to fabricate.

The hardest part: getting the slots the right size so that the tabs fit snuggly. My answer: make sure they’re square (i.e. if the board is 3/16th of an inch thick, make the tab cut 3/16th of an inch. Then, reduce the slot square to 97.5% for a snug fit.)

One design element I’m particularly happy with is the roof. Since it was a hexagon, I first cut the whole thing out and then scored the tiles on in sections, rotating the piece six times. That way the smoke from the laser always blew downwards, creating faux-shadows.
If you’re wondering, she loves it.

74 Likes

Wow!!

2 Likes

Fantastic! You should post a video of it in action :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Beautiful build!

2 Likes

I never would have thought about using the laser smoke pull and changing directions to create those effects. It looks amazing!

3 Likes

30 Likes

This is spectacular! Growing up in Holland I remember the rotating carousels with candles and their tinkle. Fabulous job!

3 Likes

That is absolutely wonderful!!!

1 Like

Why not, indeed! Excellent results, and makes me want to recreate something, but I just don’t know what :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I love it, too! Nice job. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That took some work. Such a lovely and engaging design. Very well proportioned. The fans are a neat look. Thanks for posting and especially doing the video.

3 Likes

Now that is just plain wonderful! Love the audio!

3 Likes

Wonderful work, sorry but I hate you and I’m not worthy…:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Very cool, great detail! The large railing posts are round… did you turn those down from dowel?

2 Likes

Thanks. I bought the railing posts at our local craft supply store… 6 for $1.35 (and they fit perfectly!)

1 Like

It took me ten months to be “worthy” and even then, there’s some really janky stuff going on behind the scenes to make it work (reusing part of an old drawing compass, the top of an candle jar, a rubber band, etc.)

3 Likes

My parents had a little metal one with angels and that had dingers hanging from their bellies that would hit the bells as the “flew” around. I always looked forward to watching it spin and ding!

2 Likes

I bet it looked like this…

engelcarrousel-angel-chimes

7 Likes

That’s it! (although ours is a bit more bend in places from years of use).

1 Like