PNG size when placed

Hello, I am still a Glowforge newbie, so I am sure this is an easy question…I have a PNG that Photoshop shows as 1.7 inches wide by 1.1 inches hide with 267 pixels per inch resolution. When I upload that to the GF UI, it shows up at 5 inches wide by 3.5 inches high. Is this some weird DPI conversion thing going on?

The end goal is I want to make a high resolution raster image in an app such as photoshop and have it place in the GF UI still at high resolution for high quality output, but not have it need manually resizing as I want this to be completely accurate and not just estimated based on my manual resizing in the GF UI.

Is this possible or do I have to go the SVG route even for a raster image that has no need to be a vector or does SVG have the same issue where I can’t guarantee the perfect accuracy of size between my source app and the GF UI?

Thanks!

Here is a topic that treats this issue.

An easy way to manage the size is to import the bitmap image into Illustrator and then put it into a vector frame of the size you want. That constrains the image in size. So yes, the vector method is easy and accurate.

You definitely have noted the important issues here.

The other way is to do the math for your resolution and understand pixels per inch and size of the image. You would resize the image with the correct resolution. Then you would want to get into a bit about Glowforge resolution and lines per inch, of which there are many topics.

2 Likes

You can also save to a PDF, but have to have the right combination of save settings for the PDF.

Uploading just an image basically ignores the PPI of an image. It takes the edge pixel length and displays it according to the native browser resolution, which is typically 96 PPI. So, edge length in pixels / 96.

1 Like

Interesting, thank you.

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!