Positioning issue!

New Glowforge Plus here. Today I did the whole camera calibration process, cleaned lenses, etc. everything seemed dead on to the test sheet. This is one of the projects I ran afterwards. It’s an antler tip and thus not perfectly flat but I should be closer than 8 clicks on the “arrow up” button, no? Any idea what’s up here?
Thanks!
image|598x500

how tall is the horn and did you use set focus on it before you arranged the artwork? set focus is under the 3 vertical dot icon on the dashbaord. Also depending on where it is on the bed plays into the accuracy of the camera as its a fish eye lens camera that is being processed into a flat image with the info it gets from the calibration.

1 Like

Yes, Set Focus on the area I wanted to Engrave, antler is about .75 above the bed, and it’s placed close to where the camera is located when the lid is down.

The height could be the issue here then i think, the machine is only suitable for materials 0- 0.5" off the top of the bed. you would need to remove the bed and place material under it so the top of the antler would fall into that range. placing the work piece directly under the camera helps with alignment as well so that was good.

3 Likes

I agree ^^, looks like wider lines, that would be a focus issue. Trying to get the red laser focus beam to hit that just right will be a challenge I think.

The pic you posted is after you ran the print, right? The post-print image shows a displacement like that. Even with the position shown if you were not to move the antler at all and ran the file again, it would hit exactly the same place.
I think getting the right focus on that narrow an object is going to be a challenge.

Print This and use it to ensure the object is within range with the tray out.

Oh, and Welcome to the funhouse!

4 Likes

Is the red dot hitting the apex of the horn? That would allow set focus to do its job.

It’s pretty narrow for Set Focus. Might need a jig cutout for this one, but you can keep trying set focus to get it right.

2 Likes

I see that the community has provided some good advice on the next best steps. I’ll keep this thread open a little longer, and see if any of those steps helped. Let us know how it goes!

here is a link on how to use set focus. Alignment – Glowforge

Hello @ptsherman, its been a little while since we heard from you, so I wanted to check in. Were you able to get your print to turn out? If you’re still running into trouble, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help.

Otherwise, if everything is good now, let us know and we’ll go ahead and close this thread. Thank you!

Hi Morgan-
Yep! Think I have it figured out. Watch where that red laser eye hits, maintain the right distance even if the crumb tray has to come out.

Thanks!

Hi @ptsherman. That’s great to hear and thank you for letting us know. I’ll go ahead and close this thread, but feel free to start a new thread, or contact us at support@glowforge.com, if you need any further assistance. We’ll be here and happy to help. Thank you!