Power/Speed/LPI

So the way to prove this out would be to test on a consistent material that takes advantage of higher LPI.

Prove what out?

Maybe I need to re-read what you wrote. I’m working, so only half paying attention. :wink:

1 Like

To work or the forums

1 Like

Put it this way… If I was my boss, I’d have to have a strong talking to myself.

9 Likes

I was my boss for years.
I gave up talking to myself since I never listened.

19 Likes

I always talk to myself. Great conversation and I find I’m an awesome sounding board for solutions to problems. :wink:

4 Likes

At work we kid each other about serving as “cardboard cutouts”.
You are looking at a problem and not getting anywhere, so you call someone over and say “Look at this, the code does this and then this and then… right there is my problem, yup right there”.

The other person rarely has to say a word they just stand there like a cardboard cutout and wait while you find your mistake.
Because it is ALWAYS your mistake.

17 Likes

I’m no developer. But sometimes I am. Once I was stuck for like 2 days on something that should have worked. But it didn’t. Finally I convinced a developer friends to take a look. He looked for about 2 days as well and said “Yeah… This should work. But it’s not.” Finally, I went character-by-character through everything. Wouldn’t you know it… I missed a semi-colon. (Yeah… I wasn’t using any development environment that might have mentioned that. It was many many years ago.)

4 Likes

It’s always a semicolon or bracket. Stupid code should do what I mean, not what I say.

4 Likes

It would be interesting to know what the horizontal DPI is for a particular LPI and speed. The image must be resampled vertically at the chosen LPI but perhaps the horizontal resampling is always done at tube / PSU bandwidth divided by the speed. It would be good to know that figure to ensure your image has enough resolution for the horizontal DPI as you don’t specify that directly.

5 Likes

Yes I would love to know this

That exact problem is another case for adding a “3d printer” setting to the laser path. 3d printers trace the outside edges, then fill the inside with whatever overlap you tell it. The aliasing would be nearly completely gone, and the LPI would only dictate the “fill” lines inside the traced borders.

2 Likes

You can do the same with a vector score. I do it quite often. No 3d printing mess required.

6 Likes

I understand it’s do-able with further steps, but since you do it so often wouldn’t it be nice if there was a function that did it for you? And it’s not really a “mess”, just a different way of filling in the pattern. If the scoring were built into the design of the overall engrave there would be less overlap with the final vector score.

I just see myself caring about the outside edges of my engraves enough that doing a vector score after the full engrave could get old and tiresome.

a vector score takes a couple of seconds, and it is a function that will do it for me. im not sure how you would do it any faster other than having a checkbox to say “run vector score around engrave”, which might be handy, but then you would have to have a box that says " before" or " after" as well and that would begin to clutter up the UI. I just put a border around what I want engraved and set it to score. its about the same amount of work.

2 Likes

i get where you’re coming from, though i got in the habit of vectoring the outside on another laser and honestly it’s very little effort to add to your design imo. vector scores typically tend to go pretty quick, too (though i obv haven’t used this particular laser yet).

1 Like

Or an outline score.

EDIT: Should have read to the bottom before replying :slight_smile: But I set almost all engraves to have an outline score to clean up the edges because they are often noticeable on the Redsail. It’s just one extra step in Corel to design it and one more in the CAM app to tell it to score that color.

3 Likes

yes. but sometimes if the LPI is too low, the score wont hide all the aliasing. but yes for the most part =)

I try to do the same as well =) (unless the engrave is too deep and im worried about it cutting through on the GF - but this was before low power mode was available)

1 Like

There is the issue that scores, start/stop and around corners, are not, at present, subtle. It’s something that is well known and the company is working on. Hopefully soon.

2 Likes