Pre-Release Glowforge: delivery, unboxing, setup, first prints! :glowforge:

The problem with packing peanuts is they settle during shipping. So you have to overpack the box in the hope that they’ll settle just enough. And the overpacking makes the box less structurally sound … so they defeat your purpose when shipping a heavy object.

(I used to ship heavy servers for my IT job. This is the voice of bitter experience talking.)

10 Likes

Hey @AuntiMame! Good to hear from you.

3 Likes

Archimedean spiral, Nice!

2 Likes

I’m in East Troy. Looks as though SE WI is covered!

2 Likes

Try Boomerang for short GIFs on iPhone

1 Like

I guess that I replied to the wrong message. I’m in East Troy, WI. Sadly, best known for being the town in which Stevie Ray Vaughn died after a concert with Eric Clapton.

4 Likes

Yes that was a sad day for me, I remember what I was doing when I heard the news.

2 Likes

I was a teenage deadhead, so I used to go see the Grateful Dead at Alpine Valley every summer. Also lived in Chicago for a minute, and had the good fortune to see SRV there the year before he died. What an amazing performer!

All that to say - I know where East Troy is! :smiley:

4 Likes

I was here at the time. Very sad day. SRV was incredibly talented. …but, we digress.

3 Likes

Any progress on screenshots of the UI?

Yes. Trying to wade through posts to see what’s on folks minds specifically and catch up. I have some iPad screen shots and some desktop Firefox to show and comment on. Thats next tonight.

11 Likes

I went to Beloit!

2 Likes

I’m a Wisconsinite @marmak3261! Born and raised and still here! I’ve heard about your stash of beer illegally imported from Wisconsin! I actually really like the Back 40 that New Glarus makes, but it’s only a seasonal beer, and one of those seasonal beers that show up once every 5 of those seasons! Haven’t tried the Bubbler though to be honest…looks light and tasty. Is it ‘hoppy’ at all…can’t stand that flavor :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is it time for a beer topic yet?

Not big on the over bitterness myself. Seems every craft brew place gets stuck on the idea of I’ll throw more obscene hops in than anyone else and claim I have the most IPA of all IPAs.

Tend to find myself enjoying more complex flavors from a good porter when I can.

9 Likes

I like IPAs even though the hipsterest beer snobs are hating them again. :wink:

But I tend to generally stay further from the bready beers and stouts. Something bitter or spicy, ice cold, with moderate carbonation. I wanna try brewing a jalapeño saison next summer.

5 Likes

Are we really turning this into the beer thread?
I just came from an organizational meeting for our clubs (RAZE) first public homebrew comp.
Personally I like pretty much anything but the run of the mill Lagers and Pilsner. That and most of the barrel aged stuff. To boozy for me. I’ve never found a hard liquor I like. I’ll stick to beer.

6 Likes

(There’s a link above to the ACTUAL beer thread)

6 Likes

I just noticed I’ve not seen the video proof of the clean dishes… ha

6 Likes

I almost did a time lapse video of my last cleaning frenzy, but I just don’t have the setup. It’s been clean and dirty several times.

3 Likes

Peanuts would be wholly unacceptable for the type of contents in the box. The closed cell foam used is much more appropriate. I will say I am surprised that they aren’t utilizing foam corner protectors at all four corners, and lack peel away film protection on the glass. Simply packaging the 4" hose clamp in a ziplock back would also prevent scratching in transit as its bouncing around. Given the weight both the box wall thickness (either heavyweight corrugated cardboard or double boxing) and the lack of foam corner protection seems excessively frugal and I suspect would cost less than what return shipping would run.

Also the 50G shock rating is 10G higher than that of Leica’s 40G (Professional Laser Surveying Equipment) is rated to handle. And that equipment is ruggedized and designed for field use conditions.

9 Likes