Alright, in preparation of my Glowforge Pro arriving, I did some pre work:

• Had 20A circuit installed
  • Purchased surge protector
  • Purchased six foot table for basement
  • Some cleaning of the area

What I still need to do

• get UPS for whole thing
  • more cleaning
  • consider what computer I want to use, as main computer is on second floor but I will need something in basement
  • support options for long items going through the pass-through slot.
  • assemble storage shelves

Anyone have anything I might be missing?

20 Likes

You could use a tablet and do all the design work on your main computer. We have an iPad we can use just to run the app and design on a laptop. Everything is kept organized on dropbox

6 Likes

Make sure you have venting figured out.
Start hording getting material to cut.
Start working on some designs.

10 Likes

What are you going to use for ventilation? Maybe you are only going to use your Pro with the air filter when they begin shipping.

Fire extinguisher, just in case.

6 Likes

I’m also planning on having a damp towel nearby too… fire. bad. :fire::japanese_ogre:

8 Likes

I have a Master HVACR license in New Jersey, ducting isn’t a problem. It’s a longer run, but I’ll put an inducing fan partway through.

Another fire extinguisher isn’t a bad idea.

9 Likes

Storage for materials, storage for partially processed materials, waste baskets or boxes to hold offcuts that you just can’t seem to let go of, storage for projects.

A computer that you can use for design while you are doing long prints. You will want to be comfortable and busy while you wait.

and a place for tools and other things you’ll need.

6 Likes

+1 Comfy chair (Pythonesque or otherwise). :couch_and_lamp:

My shop stool is not multi-hour job friendly… :scream:

7 Likes

I would take a look at this thread - lots of good ideas here:

1 Like

Ridgid and Titan tools both have these stand/supports for outfeed on a table saw that would probably work well for the pass-through. A battery backup system will negate the need for a surge protector.

4 Likes

I’m going to do protector/UPS/Equipment. I work in a data center, I’ve seen batteries go due to spikes and it’s not fun.

Interesting. So, you do surge protector into the wall and then battery backup into the surge protector and then everything else into the battery backup?

1 Like

Yeah. Line - --> Protector ----> UPS ----> Load.

2 Likes

Interesting in a data center you would see this? as normally the battery rooms are isolated several lays back from the grid and things like flywheel energy storage are in front to take the small bumps before battery’s are switches to and generator spin up
Then again maybe your are talking about small fata centers where everything has small ups and not the small I am talking about where you essentially have a ups power plant?

1 Like

Not in a data center. You’d have Feeder to UPS to PDU (multiple feed) to Load. But for what I’m doing at home, it’s an option until I get a Tesla Powerwall (someday). I’d rather a little more redundancy than less. Besides, with the protector, I can also plug in other stuff if I have need but it doesn’t need to be on the UPS (like a sander). I mounted the box on a joist in the basement, and this way I can just run the protector’s cord along the ceiling (I have hooks I can drape the cord in) to other parts of the basement when I’m not plugged into the UPS.

I hate flywheels, btw. And I’ve only been in one place with both flywheels and batteries, most places are batteries (switch to on static transfer) to generators (automatic transfer switch). Never on battery long, but the UPS handles the inverter/rectifier part.

2 Likes
  • Material, Material, Material
  • Gorilla Tape to get the tiny little masking bits off
  • Thick masking tape for use with non-proofgrade materials
  • More material
  • Digital calipers (so you can measure all the things before lasering all the things)
  • Sanding blocks, wood glue, etc.
  • Did I mention materials?:wink:
3 Likes

Dental picks for when the Gorilla tape doesn’t work.

Magic Sponges for cleaning things up.

CA glue (& activator - optional but handy)

2 Likes

We’re moving into a house built in the '50s having had several remodels along the way.

We are upgrading the electrical system including a modern service panel. The electrician recommended adding a whole-house surge suppressor to the panel. Incremental cost is only $85, but it would cost a couple hours labor if that’s all they were doing.

Articles still recommend additional surge protection on particularly susceptible equipment to protect against surges generated on the same circuit and low level surges that get by the main suppressor.

3 Likes

Is this something that’s necessary and I somehow missed that conversation?

1 Like