Print on metal

Hi, has anyone printed on metal and if so may I see images of your work. Also, what setting was used? If you were able to print on metal did anyone use C02 laser spray?

1 Like

Hello. Since this is not a problem for support, I am going to move your post over to the Everything Else category. If you do a search on the forum for metal marking, you will find many many posts about it. Here is one just to get you started. Have fun!

6 Likes

I have printed on metal, using Brilliance Laser ink - its pretty pricey stuff, and you have to be careful, it rubs off before its laser-ed on, so you gotta handle the ‘raw’ media with care.

What I noticed, is the laser is the size of a hair, so your lines are the size of a hair, you need to GO LARGE or you need to go home.

I tried it on several items already (including plastic, were it bonded, but was easily scraped off) on metal, once its on there, you can’t really scrape it off (I am sure sandpaper would make me a liar!)

Jonathan

2 Likes

I use Cermark and it works great!!

Laser-ed metal business card, nothing added

2 Likes

What settings was used?

276 / 56 - 3 passes

1 Like

I tried Cermark on a knife from the kitchen, just to see how it would work. It’s been 9 months (and this is one of my go-to knives):

7 Likes

Here’s one I did on brass using Cermark spray:

7 Likes

These are the credit cards I used. . .

Jonathan

1 Like

@johnj That is awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve used dry moly lubricant spray with great success.

4 Likes

That is awesome. What material are you all selecting or does it not matter?

You select uncertified material in most cases, or you can select one of the MacBook settings as a place to start with anodized aluminum.

1 Like

This is a knife blade:
I smeared some dijon mustard on it with a Q-tip and used an engraving speed of 1000, power 50.

3 Likes

Hey folks, the inclusion of Glowforge settings means this thread has to go in Beyond the Manual. So I’ll move it for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Here is a post I did on engraving my son’s steel tools.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.