Production units being delivered

So thank you for looking into it

3 Likes

First time posting, but was just curious:

Since 2015 orders were the first to ship, how many of you are 2016 purchasers and have already received “the email” or even the magic box itself? I didn’t order until the beginning of October '16, so by the latest shipping schedule update I’m anticipating a very Happy Thanksgiving (or at least an early Christmas, although hoping for sooner!). I know many 2015 orders have been fulfilled and even some 2016 orders at this point. Not trying to figure out the official schedule, but I’m just curious as to who may have ordered most recently and has already seen your order ship?

No not many at all. About 1 per day since the beginning of this month to see how they go.

I know there haven’t been any actual numbers released as far as shipments fulfilled at this point - is there another spot on the forum or in this topic that I missed where the one-per-day thing is being discussed? Or is that just as estimate? Either way, I’m more curious about the whole date ordered vs. date delivered thing.

It is about one per day as seen by forums users. There are many customers not on the forums, so it could be more but they are invisible.

3 Likes

Some of @dan posts about shipping order and schedules:

4 Likes

this is the start of a terrible glowforge ghost story

11 Likes

No, this is the first anyone has heard that we’re shipping one per day.

At least, it’s the first I heard it. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

They are shipping more than one daily…I get a lot of very excited private messages.
(Their choice when/if they decide to go public.)

10 Likes

Thanks @dan - bit of a relief, one per day sounded a little low! No clue what the total number of orders is, but I imagine shipping one per day would make shipping ALL Basic and Pro orders by November 30th pretty much impossible.

What I was mainly driving at with my original question was; to those who have already received their :glowforge:, what was the date of your original order? Mainly just curious to see what the most recent order/shipment was. I’ve seen posts here and there from people who have received theirs already and the order date has ranged from 2015 to 2016.

If anyone who is currently Glowing and/or Forging is willing to offer up that info, I’d appreciate it!

…and @dan, if you happen to find your way in the near future to shipping orders placed on October 4th, 2016, that wouldn’t be the worst thing. :grin:

1 Like

It wouldn’t do us any good to know now. They are not shipping according to just purchase date at this time. :neutral_face:

Actually, they will never ship according to “just” Purchase Order. Things like which machines are currently being produced (Pro vs. Basic), domestic orders vs. international and which countries have been cleared for shipment, who wants to delay the order because they are out on a family road trip, whether part of a line goes down or a shipment of parts is delayed…all of these things are going to play into it.

They don’t track it, and so we can’t know either. (sigh!)

7 Likes

This topic has been beat to death, but production will ramp up considerably. My father in law, an electrical engineer for many years at places such as ATI, Motorola, and now Arris, was visiting for the weekend. When I told him Flex (who he worked with many times) was doing the production on this mythical Glowforge, he said, “Oh, so it’s the real deal!”

21 Likes

I understad all of that - and as I said, I’m not trying to deconstruct the algorithm and figure out when a specific unit will ship. Just my own curiosity to see the difference between the earliest orders being delivered and the most recent orders being delivered, if folks are willing to share, that’s all!

1 Like

I don’t know that they are out of Day 1 yet if that helps, excluding Pro orders which will be coming later. Based on the dollar totals they generated, they had something like 500 or so orders on Day 1, likely followed by several hundred on Day 2, even more on Day 3, even more on Day 4…and so on. So I guess that 50% of the orders fell in the Crowdfunding campaign? That’s about 5,000-6,000 units.

I think I’m at about Day 4. I don’t have my Production unit yet, but I just upgraded it to Pro, so I don’t expect to see it until late July at the earliest. And that’s only if they decide to bump me up. They might decide to deliver the Production units to the PreRelease users and Beta testers later…we are already using machines now, and can afford to wait until some of the others get started. (For the most part. Maybe. Hmmmmn…better limit that to my personal feeling.)

I believe we’ll see a really slow start, date-wise, with the first week or two taking forever - because that was the highest volume of orders. Then things are going to move faster and faster as the order level petered out.

I’m actually pretty good at math, and I wouldn’t want to try to figure it out. :grin:

7 Likes

I suspect it’s a reference to this post:

And the whole point of that post is there isn’t any reason to trust the spreadsheet at Crowdsource GF Shipping board - Google Drive because it doesn’t have any chance of being a decent source of information.

as @jrnelson points out information is a bit strict. The spread sheet just lacks enough data to be used reliably for any predictions.

3 Likes

Yeah - and I’m no good at math at all, so I have no interest in trying to figure it out :dizzy_face:, just a general curiosity. I could have sworn I saw someone post that they had ordered at some point last year and had gotten their email already, but I’m not sure which part of the forums I saw that in. Would make a lot of sense for them not even to be out of Day 1 yet, but it sounds like they’ll be jumping around a bit given what @dan said about some orders being accelerated and some being delayed (as you mentioned as well that makes sense for some beta testers who are already using what may be pretty close to production units anyway).

1 Like

Yes that is where I got 1 per day from. It was actually 0.86 at the time but not everybody who has received one has filled in the date.

Not at all accurate but in the absence of any other information it is the only gauge we have. You could multiply by customers / forum members and get a bigger number. You could even multiply by customers / people who have put their name on the spread sheet. That would give a highly optimistic run rate of about 60 per day.

sadly adding more speculative numeric factors into the already skimpy data just wont’ get us more accuracy. I just look forward to the day when we all have our glowforges and are competing to see who can post the coolest project they made.

5 Likes

Yes I think we can say it is more than one and less than 60. Pick a number in between depending on how optimistic you are.

Look out for relevant mile posts, e.g. first pro, first outside US, first to your country and see where your order date is relative to theirs, if they fill in the sheet.

1 Like

ok but I think we can all agree our favorite milepost will be when we finally get to laser our own first thing!

2 Likes