QOTD from Glowforge: Tell us about the computer(s) + touch devices you want to use with your Glowforge

ASUS G750JZ 17-Inch Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4Ghz (Turbo 3.4 GHz)
32 GB DDR3
512GB SSD (256GB SSD x 2 RAID) + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
17.3-inch screen, GeForce GTX 880M 4GB
Windows 8 Professional

We have an intern that would prefer to use his iPad2 but I personally wouldn’t want to use touch interface.

I use Illustrator and Rhino

Won’t be back at work for 2 weeks, so cannot go into great detail on the desktops. But basically awesome graphics cards in windows devices.

For mobile… the only way I see myself having files on a mobile which I can send to the forge would be if I can simply select an image from the web and toss it over for engraving (would be awesome… but sounds infeasible), or if I open from email attachment.

For the mobile devices, iPhone and iPad.

Macbook Pro’s (various configs 2014 and newer) w/El Capitan
Win8/10 (various configurations)
iPad Air, Air2

2D:
On Mac Sketch & Illustrator
On PC Adobe Illustrator

3D:
Lightwave

WiFi Ubiquiti Unifi - Pro AC(s) most devices are using 802.11/ac in my house

I am mostly on my cell phone.
Hardware
Samsung note 5
Display
5.7"
2560 x 1440 pixels
Operating System and Processor
Android 5.1 Lollipop
Samsung Exynos® 7420 Octa-core 64-bit processor
Memory
32GB ROM, 4GB RAM
Connectivity
Sync methods: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, USB, LTE,UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+

My main desktop is custom.
Processor i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz, 8 core
RAM 32 gb
SSD 32GB and 3 tb storage
OS Win 10 pro 64 bit
Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6700 series 1gb dedicated 3 shared total 4gb
Monitor Acer s243HL

Software
Adobe CC, sketchup, 123d Make and Inkscape

1 Like

iPad pro
Windows desktop. Draftsight, Onsight
Just learning Inkscape.

Various.

Main:
2008 Mac Pro octocore 2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 960gb ssd, 1.5TB storage, Radeon 4870 flashed from a PC card, dual 23" or so monitors. Bout to add an Accelsior S and a different video card.

Alts:
2008 15" MBP 8gb , 240gb SSD.

Surface 3

LG G Pad 8.3

LG Urbane :wink:

LG G3

And yes I recently realized how much LG stuff I have. It’s total coincidence.

Hardware:
Lenovo Thinkstation Desktop running windows 7 pro with intel i7-4790 3.6 GHz 32 G RAM
Lenovo laptop with windows ten. (i’ll edit the specs when I get back to it)
And as for touch, the only one I’ve been impressed with at all is my Samsung Galaxy s5… i might do some basic prints from here, but I like using the big guns for any real work
Software: AutoCAD, Sketchup, Vectorworks(a little), Microstation (a little), Inkscape, and probably some i haven’t discovered yet :smile:

My main PC is:
Win7 Pro
6 core i7. 32GB RAM
1.5 TB SSD

I have a Lenovo Yoga 1, i5 running Windows 8.1 I use as a media player and for typing away from the house.

I have several other PCs.

An Android phone and access to a bunch of higher-end Android tablets running KitKat to Marshmallow

Software:
inkscape and openscad plus who knows?

I figure my design work will be on the main PC. As it is not near where the glowforge will live, and depending on the glowforge interface, I may mount an Android tablet (probably an NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1) next to the glowforge as its UX platform.

Yes, I have seen that. Thanks for pointing it out, though, I’m sure there are folks who would take advantage of that. I’m pretty casual and infrequent. If you are going to use a software regularly, it makes sense; but not for my habits. As I said, though, a GlowForge will likely change some things.
I don’t love the subscription model. As a student I got CS1 for around $100 and I used it until forced obsolescence pushed me off of my G5 - I think it was a Flash update that broke youtube and the bank website and several other things. No more CS1. I got a lot of months (years) and a lot of programs out of my $100.
Luckily, though, freeware and shareware have come a long way.

1 Like

Win7 Pro
Intel 5930K @ 4.5GHz
32 GB RAM
GTX 980 Ti video card

Adobe CC suite
Fusion360
(maybe) Onshape?
Matlab (for nifty auto-generated pattern projects)

I’ll start with my Microsoft Surface 3 Pro (i7) running Windows 8.1. I currently use my MS Surface 3 (not Pro but still a 64-bit using the Intel Atom chipset) with my K40. It’s running Windows 10. I might use that with the GF as well. I also have a small Dell Venue 8 running Windows 10 as well as a MacAir 13" (running Windows 7 - I wanted a travel netbook before Windows netbooks were really that thin, light or good so I just scrapped the OSX install and loaded Windows on it). All of the Windows machines are touchscreen (except the MacAir). If you’re thinking of a tablet based app - I’d love one for Android. I have everything from a 5" Nexus 6P to a 10" Samsung Galaxy running Android that would be really nice to control execution of a job on the GF. I’d still likely use the laptops (with extra monitors) to do any complex design work but the Android devices would be good for running the machine.

For software I use 123D Make, Fusion 360, Inkscape & Sketchup (as well as Rhino but that’s likely overkill for this) for other stuff so one or more will become the one(s) used for the GF.

Hardware:

HP Z400 workstation running Win 7 (possibly Win10) with NVidia Quadro 600 video card, 12 GB RAM, Xenon 3 GHZ CPU
Samsung Galaxy Note 10 2014 Ed.
HP Folio Ultrabook
3DConnexion Space Pilot Pro 3D mouse

Software:

GeoMagic Design (3D CAD) with DXF export
Onshape (cloud-based 3D CAD) with DXF export
MS Visio for line art
Gearotic

I’m competent with the above and have just downloaded Inkscape in anticipation of needing that for the GF, but would really prefer to use the above for my projects. I also use SprutCAM (from Russia) for CNC work and I believe that has a configuration for lasercutting though it seems like that would not be needed or even useful with the GF. 123D Make might be useful and I’ll learn that if the need arises.

1. Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop - Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.8GHz - 12GB RAM - 64 bit O/S - Windows 7 Professional

Software: Fusion 360

Hardware:
Custom Windows10/7 64bit
12gb ram i7 3.something

Laptop Alienware m11x windows 7 64bit 4gb ram, 1.4ghz i5

Want to buy an iPad mini or pro… (Pretty exclusively for glowforge)

At the school I work at we use ipad minis 1st gen) and also samsung 1st gem chromrbooks

Software:
Inkscape, gimp, fireworks, photoshop

Will try illustrator, sketchup and pretty much everything else(looking forward to auto desk and adobe widgets)

Using an iMac 27" running Yosemite

and a iPad Air 2 along with my iPhone

Running Parallels and Windows 7 for SolidWorks
Also work with 123D and Ilustrator on the Mac
Tested FreeCad also on the Mac

Phew. First off I don’t know where to begin. I have two computers in my studio space running every type of software available (as far as I know). A couple non-touch dell vostro (windows 10) with 27" syncmasters and graphic tablets (wacom intuos large). A 15.6 del inspiring touch screen laptop (2014 model). Another mini pc with multiple 24" monitors in the office. A surface pro touch and pressure sensitive pen. It’s new and probably my least favorite. A gaggle of Google Android phones (note 4 s and s5’s). A plethora of android tablets going way back into 2011.
Yes, someone needs to have a garage sale. Don’t make me think of it. I just got my elite status summary from best buy. My eyes just about popped out of my head. I really should be kept on that list for another decade just from the last 12 months. Yikes.
Regardless, you build it, I have something to test it on. I have used the lawnmower to design so bring it. The only tech I don’t use is apple products to the great chagrin of my fellow photogs.

1 Like

I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium. I don’t know the specs. Many of the components are upgraded. I’d like to be able to use an iPad2 and iPhone5. Also, ease of use with DropBox would be wonderful.

2 Likes

Yes, and Fusion 360 is $40/mo I think. I’m going to try and get by with Inkscape. The overhead on PS and AI for a year would be enough to buy a spare laser tube!

1 Like

Hardware

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) running El Capitan
1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 w/ 4gb RAM
graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

iMac (27-inch late 2013) running El Capitan
3.5 GHz Intel Core i/ w/ 8gb RAM
graphics card: NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

iPad Mini (9.2) w/ 53 Pencil

Software
Adobe CC suite, also I am learning 123DMake at the moment

I mainly use an AMD PC running Windows 10. We also have a couple of MACs floating around, an older iMac and a couple of MacBook Pros. I’m sorry, but I don’t know the specs or OSs on those. The iMac is probably seven or eight years old. I also have an iPad Mini and my wife has an iPad Mini 2 or 3, and we both run iPhone, I’m on 6 and she’s on 5S.

For Software we have full Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD, I have downloaded and installed but not used 123DMake, and Sketchup. I mostly work in AutoCAD and my wife will likely work in Photoshop or Illustrator.