QOTD from Glowforge: Tell us about the computer(s) + touch devices you want to use with your Glowforge

Hardware: Main Office/Work Computer: Dell XPS 8700, i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz , 12 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 10. Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 745. Display Dell ST2310.
Home Prototype and test platform: a couple customized and cobbled together from old parts desktops. one running Ubuntu Server 14.04 and acting as a Linux Terminal server for various thin clients scattered through the house. Another homebrew desktop which is my media center running XBMC.
A couple Raspberry Pi Bs for electronics work.
Four 21 inch Samsung HDTVs from a shuttered office. No touch pads for input but a VuPoint magic wand for scanning.
iPad Air I got last summer. Not sure what version. Pencil by 53
iPhone 5s.

Software: Sketchup Free version. Inkscape. GIMP. Started getting familiar with 123D Make for slicing up models. Poking around Rhino and Grasshopper as an option because of the scripting abilities. Kturtle to make interesting geometric designs.
I also do a lot of music engraving with Lilypond and Musescore. Would be interested in doing some music engraving and letterpress printing with these for something other than paper as a printing medium.

Yes, and Fusion 360 is $40/mo I think. Iā€™m going to try and get by with Inkscape. The overhead on PS and AI for a year would be enough to buy a spare laser tube!

Agreed. If I didnā€™t use it for business, I would probably feel the same way.

+1 on Dropbox support.

+2 on DropBox Support

+3 on Dropbox.

I rarely use my Dropbox account, but still understand itā€™s usefulness in getting files from one place to another. But not sure I understand the added benefit as far as Glowforge operations go. The only thing I could come up with was if someone remotely puts a file into a Dropbox account and the Glowforge operator initiates a session from their device that would point to the file in the Dropbox. I guess it saves one step for the operator because they wouldnā€™t have to directly upload the file but it adds an extra authentication step for the Glowforge. What am I missing?

2 Likes

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists and education, and as long as you arenā€™t using it for commercial work (similar to OnShape) it is free. OnShape limits storage space as an aside. If you are running a commercial enterprise then paying for it is the cost of doing business, if you are a hobbyist itā€™s free.

I donā€™t mind paying for Fusion 360. It has done everything I have asked of it, all non-commercial use so far. If that changes with the GF Iā€™ll gladly pay up. Iā€™m stoked that such a powerful tool is available to learn on, with a reasonable ā€œrentalā€ fee once we cross the threshold. Till then itā€™s Inkscape for my illustration needs!

Hardware:
MacBook Pro 2011
MacPro 2008
iPad Air

Software:
Solidworks
SharkFX
Fusion360 (learning)
123D Make
Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop (pre-cloud versions)
Inkscape (as needed)
Pixelmator
Affinity Designer (hoping to use to replace Illustrator and Photoshop soon)

My plan is to integrate laser cut parts into many areas and phases of my prototyping workflow, and any where else where there is a benefit to using it.

Here is the usage restriction:

Iā€™m thinking it will be a long time before I top $100,000 U.S. per year using fusion 360 and/or any other app(s). :smile:

3 Likes

HP laptop with windows 7 home premium 64bit
processor: Intel Core i7 2.20GHz
RAM 8.0 GB
Radeon Graphics

Software:
Blender 3d
Inkscape
Gimp

Other:
Hand drawing images or printing images to be put on top of material before lasering.

Hardware:
iMac (2007) & iPad Air - Iā€™d love to update the iMac soon so maybe Iā€™ll have to sell stuff I make on my Glowforge to fund buying a new one.

Software:
Adobe Illustrator primarilyā€”itā€™s what I knowā€”but I may have to look into some of the other options just to see.

And hopefully they will maintain that pricing policy for a long time to come. If not, and they start charging for use what do you do with your existing part/assembly files? Migrating that sort of data while maintaining history or the feature trees is just about impossible. Your best bet in that event seems to be exporting every single part as a dumb solid for import into the CAD system you end up switching to. Companies really canā€™t commit to a fixed pricing model in perpetuity and it is a mistake to think that todayā€™s pricing model will be valid for more than a year or two. At least, such was the lesson I learned a couple of times over the past few years.

1 Like

I run windows, Google Chrome and Corel Paint Shop Pro. I have the adobe suite, but I donā€™t use it unless I have to. Iā€™ve used AutoCAD pretty extensively, but I donā€™t have much need for it anymore, and I believe the copy I have is 2007, so fairly out of date. The graphics work I do is usually digitizing embroidery files with vector based programs or raster/vector layers for product graphics.

Hardware: MacBook Pro 2011core i5 OSX 10.11.1
IMac 2012 core i5 (same)

Just ordered: HP Sprout 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7-4790S Quad-Core. Windows 10(64 bit) This will be my first Windows computer. I think the revolutionary environment of this computer will be a good match for the GF.

Software: Inkscape & TurboCAD

Iā€™d love to hear what you think of the Sprout after you have used it for a few weeks. I have had my eye on it for about a year but canā€™t decide. I just recently saw you can buy it in a bundle with a 3D printer presumably optimized to work together.

I ordered mine from B&H Photo. The price is dropped $300, free shipping, no tax, & ā€œhad toā€ spend $1000 on my new c-card to get an extra $200 kickback. So, it became affordableā€¦ but, they are not in stock, I had to pre-order one. :laughing: Iā€™ve had my eye on one for about the same time, my only experience w/windows is 7, so it should be a great learning experience all around. I think the photo capture apps for the touch mat will be most useful. I play @ making steampunk jewelry, handling images of the parts as opposed to a desktop littered with parts & trying to keep things from sliding apart will really speed things up. I believe the scanner area is of a similar size with the GF work area as well. Iā€™m definitely willing to report how it works out!

Fusion 360 is Free for non-commercial purposes. I donā€™t know how you plan to use it / GlowForge; so I canā€™t speak on how that might apply to you. Iā€™m just pointing it out for anyone in the forum who might qualify for the free license.

HARDWARE:
Mac Pro (2013) 6-Core Xeon E5 3.5 GHz 32GB RAM
OS X 10.11 El Capitan
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB/Core
21 TB Thunderbolt 2 RAID + 17 TB Thunderbolt 2 Time Machine RAID (

iPad Air2 64Gb

SOFTWARE:
Adobe Creative Cloud Apps
Fusion 360 (Free Non-Commercial License)
If compatible, I may also utilize ideaMaker (comes with a Raise3D N2 Plus printer - Slated to ship to me in January)

Iā€™m thinking Fusion 360 might get itā€™s own thread on here. Enough people use it, and apparently there is a lot of info about the non-commercial license.