QOTD from Glowforge: Tell us about the computer(s) + touch devices you want to use with your Glowforge

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) running El Capitan
4 GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

iPhone 6 (iOS 9)

iPad 3 (iOS 9)

(and hopefully an iPad Pro at some point in the future)

Iā€™m using the exact same stuff as you areā€¦except my iPhone is a 6plus. Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum, and to tell you that I just bought the iPad pro about a month ago (I had an original iPad which was still working fine, but could no longer do some things that I wanted) and also bought the Apple pencil. Amazing! The pencil is incredible and Iā€™m having such fun using it to draw with in Paper 53. I hope you can get one soonā€¦you will love it. :relaxed:

I will be using a 27" 5k Retina iMac I-7, 32 gigs ram, iPad Air2 and an iPhone 6+
Software will be Inkscape, Gimp, TurboCad, Fusion 360, Sketchup, Vetric Aspire, and at work AutoCad, and to accompany all that, Uliā€™s Moose. I have Illustrator CC, just learning it.

For hardware, our studio has a mix of Mac gearā€¦
Mac Pro 12-core Xeon 2.7GHz w/64GB RAM & dual FirePro D700
iMac Core i7 3.5GHz w/32GB RAM & nVidia GTX-780M
MacBook Pro 13" Core i7 3.1GHz w/16GB & Intel Iris 6100
MacBook Air 11" Core i7 2.0GHz w/8GB & Intel HD 4000
iPad Pro 128GB w/Pencil & iPad Air 2 128GB w/3rd party stylus

Software:
Adobe Creative Cloud suite & iOS apps
Maxon Cinema 4D
Autodesk 123D apps for Mac & iOS
Vectric VCarve Pro (via Parallels) primarily for use with ShopBot CNC router

hi @Xabbess Iā€™ve got a question: does the apple pencil really only work on the iPad pro? I hope to get one next year for my lab/ workshop at the university I work for, so Iā€™ll try to keep my buying urge in check :wink: but the pencil is really hard to resist, so please say yes to not working on any other iPad ā€¦ I think :smile:

The Apple Pencil does only work with the iPad Pro. It relies on sensors that arenā€™t present in older iPads.

There are rumors that Apple is going to be releasing a new iPad later this month that will support the Pencil. Some people say it will be called the iPad Air 3, others say it will share the iPad Pro name with its bigger brother. But of course the rumors could be completely wrong.

1 Like

I believe tim1724 is correct, though I have no certain way of knowing since I only own the pro. It makes sense though, that the pencil would only work with the iPad pro. At least for now.

thanks @tim1724 and @Xabbess for the answer, thought so

Itā€™s worth noting that the same pencil works with both last fallā€™s 12.9 inch iPad Pro and the recently launched 9.7 inch iPad Pro. Iā€™ve got the larger, and my girlfriend has the new smaller form factor, weā€™re both very big fans.

now that you have both do you prefer one over the other? Im curious about the larger ipad especiallyā€¦

Hardware:
MBP Retina 13" (running 10.11.3)
iMac 27" (also running 10.11.3)
iPad Pro
iPad Air 2
iPad mini (1st gen)
iPhone 6S
Apple Pencil
Pencil by 53

Software:
Illustrator
Graphic
Affinity Designer
SketchUp
AstroPad
Procreate

I7-2600k quad core 16GB desktop gtx 590
surface pro 4 i7
surface book i7 w/GPU

not sure about software yet

1 Like

Guess Iā€™ll chime in though it seems Iā€™m adding nothing new. :slight_smile:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

• Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
  • OS El Capitan 10.11.4

iPhone 6s

iPad Mini 3 128gb

I donā€™t really imagine using the iPhone or iPad for much, but who knows? As for software:

Full Adobe CC Suite
AD Fusion 360
123D Make
SketchUp
Make the Cut (specifically, jigsaw puzzle generator)

1 Like

i7-6700k/64gb/nvidia 980ti/samsung 950 m.2/win10
2012 rMBP
2013 rMBP
iPhone 6s+
iPad mini 3

and a Kangaroo - this device runs most of my machines, so it will probably get some forge time too

Primary Current Daily Use Hardware:

Computers: HP Envy Notebook
HP EliteBook Notebook
Three homebuilt Intel Processor based systems for graphics and programing
Peripherals:

Network attached HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277
            Network attached HP 2430
            30 TB of Network Attached Storage                           

Applications
Adobe Fusion 360
Adobe Fuse CC
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe InDesign
Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Acrobat DC
Autodesk Inventor LT
Autodesk AutoCAD 2016 LT
Cura 15.04.2
Inkscape
Vectric Cut2D Desktop
Vectric Cut3D
Vectric PhotoVCarve
Visual Studio 2015

Local Network: Copper GigE and WiFi with repeaters connection all rooms and out buildings.

1 Like

home built 8 core AMD FX cpu 16 gb ram over 3Tb. storage nvidia 950
Wacom Intuos
Yoga 2

Draftsight
Photoshop
Illustrator
Inkscape
GearGenerator
ArtRage Studio
Autodesk 123D make
and I am trying to learn every

Oh yeah forgot to mention , I have win10 running because , I went and bought an Acer 24" touch screen monitor.

1 Like

Ooh, this is probably stupid, but I wonder if thereā€™s a way to set up something like Octoprint (3d printing server)? Say if youā€™re doing a workshop of some kind and you just want to queue things up over the local network. Youā€™d need the queue machine to have some big, clear set of buttons to make sure the previous job was out and the material for the new job was in, but it might be easier than everybody connecting to manage their own job. (Or it might not, Idunno)

1 Like

Hardware/Platform:

Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10
Home-built desktop running Windows 10
iPad Air 2

Software:

Chrome Browser
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Photoshop
Fusion360

Really hoping to write my own software for it as well - either as a utility to manipulate some future open GF file format (perhaps an extension to SVG) or via some GF-provided REST API.