QOTD from Glowforge: What Proofgrade materials do you want?

Yes. INLAY ALL THE THINGS!

11 Likes

Yes, and that trial and error aspect is a big part of the learning adventure!

As do I, more so since I understand and can appreciate the reason it exists!
" A person changes on a fundamental level when they merge with a body of knowledge."

3 Likes

I have not as yet used The Duke of Pearl - http://www.dukeofpearl.com/. Found it last week by accident. The shipping location is Lusby MD, just up the road from my work. His minimum order is $100.00.

Usually I order very small quantities from a lot of different places when needed. I donā€™t do a great deal of inlay work because itā€™s so time consuming. But I could see ordering a much larger quantity to properly dial in laser settings and see whether laser assisted inlays might work well.

You can get small quantities of MOP from:

Luthierā€™s Mercantile International - http://www.lmii.com/
Stewart-MacDonald Mfg - http://www.stewmac.com/
The Rescue Pearl Co. - http://www.rescuepearl.com/

16 Likes

Not sure if itā€™ll be an issue, but they used to burn Oyster shells to make Quick Lime, pretty corrosive stuff.

2 Likes

A wet (not sopping wet) paper towel or copy paper laid over will prevent this. Also cuts way down on tiny glass shards when etching glass.

9 Likes

It absolutely crushed me to do so, but I just requested a refund a couple of hours ago. I just didnā€™t want to wait seven months. Maybe when itā€™s available, Iā€™ll look and see whatā€™s available and try again.

I totally believe in Glowforge and am impressed by the incredible customer service of Dan and his team. I believe itā€™ll be a great product.

One thing that did surprise me, though, was the email I just received.

ā€œPlease note that your account on Glowforge.com has also been deactivated, so you will no longer be able to login to the website or post on the community forum.ā€

I guess this makes sense. No doubt, the only reason Iā€™m able to post this message is that I was still logged in. I doubt Iā€™ll be able to reply later.

Anyway, good luck to all those who are able to stick by GF!! I canā€™t wait to see your creations!

8 Likes

Yes, itā€™s automated through the forum mechanism. Best of luck to you. :cry:

2 Likes

Glowforge parlor gamesā€¦ everyone brings their own laser safe material hidden from view of the others, name that smell

9 Likes

Thanks for those links Rick.:thumbsup:

2 Likes

My primary materials are plywood (baltic birch), and acrylic. But that being said, I can easily get those things locally and they are not hard to figure out.

I would prefer to get a variety of materials that are

1. not easy for me to find (or that I can only get through the internet).
  2. not easy to figure out (i.e. what kind of leather works best)

Things like: leather, stamp material, exotic hardwoods, exotic plywoods, etc.

Basically, give me materials that will expand my experiences. (That sounds like Iā€™m asking for drugs).
Not something I can easily find at my local hardware or art store.

10 Likes

hard to come by items, rare items, bonkey items that we would not think to use, inspiration material . small kit packs either to pair with catalog designs or the classic ā€˜scrap bagā€™ that we would also order to play with things before committing to full sheets

2 Likes

With a Glowforge you can perforate your own blotter paper and save hundreds!

(sorry for the edits (anyone who saw the previous drafts of this message))

I know there are a million ways to make a sticker, and vinyl is out of the question. However, a nice streamlined (if itā€™s multi-step) alternative with quality material(s) that last would be so appreciated.

6 Likes

@dan

I for one would love all of the materials required to make my own Catan board you have shown so many times in videos. What ever woods those require, thats what I would love to have. That would allow me to finish my first project right away.

Thanks,
Carlos

6 Likes

Assorted plywood and hardwood types in 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" would be awesome.
Assorted colored acrylics, some opaque and some clear, in the same thicknesses.
Assorted leathers.
Canvas material
Laser-safe foam in various thicknesses.
Laser-safe foam-core boards.
Assorted paper

I think I am most excited for woods, and in particular, I really want to make the Catan board (assuming it shows up in the catalog! My wife is most excited about woods as well, and paper. Personally, canvas would be awesome, because I would like to try etching the canvas to make cool custom prints for my game room.

5 Likes

Just an FYI to people wanting to make the Catan Board, they have already released the design with wood suggestions for each tile!

15 Likes

Thanks! I had seen this (and probably downloaded), but totally forgot. This means the catalog credit can go towards something else, then. :smiley:

Edit: I had somehow also never seen this gallery of the creation. http://imgur.com/gallery/AYKbD

6 Likes

Wow, I hadnt seen that either. Lot of interesting videos in there!

6 Likes

Seriously? Itā€™s like finding your mom and dadā€™s love letters only after you have grown up and moved out of the house. Very cool. Wowzy!

4 Likes

The Catan Board in the link does not have the water like the Glowforge video shows. I donā€™t know anything about the game, but do like the ways that they used the different types of wood. I am planning to make one myself too.

This is the water that I am talking about.

6 Likes