QOTD from Glowforge: What Proofgrade materials do you want?

You’re right and I had noticed that as well. In the album I posted, Dean said,
“We got a bunch of requests for the the files, which unfortunately aren’t ours… so we stayed up all night and created our own for you (as a Creative Commons PDF).”

3 Likes

yeah they didnt make the board with water tiles originally, and something came up about it being posted online without them, so they made them after the fact.

3 Likes
  • Plywood: 1/8", 1/4" & 1/2" (it would be nice to test out the flip-over method)
  • Acrylic: An assortment of colors would be nice and mirrored would be a plus!
  • Hardwoods: A variety of species would be nice
  • Leather: Veg tanned or synthetic
  • Cork
  • Felt

Thank you for including us, it’s nice to be able to contribute somehow.

5 Likes

Hardwoods
Stained Glass
Acrylic to show two different colors if possible.
Fabric
Assorted Leather

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks! Saved into my Google Drive! Now to find the materials.

I had never seen that gallery either! That is super-awesome.

I will be designing my own water-border for the game as well.

hardwoods
plywood
delrin
acrylic
leather
cork
rubber stamp
adhesive backed vynal
something metallic? copper / aluminum?? can it handle that in thin sheets?
thick grey heather felt
linoleum
foam-core

2 Likes

Good list! A couple of items to note. Vinyl is really harmful when laser cut, so a vinyl alternative would be great. As far as the metals, you can mark them with special coatings, but the laser can’t cut metal.

1 Like

leathers please!

2 Likes

There are 3 of us that are going to be using it here but the general consesus is:

Hardwoods
Leather
Acrylics a variety
Rubber for stamps
Plywoods

We want to make a catan board first thing then our plans right now are to use it to produce:

Miniatures for gaming
Jewlery
Boxes
Wallhangings
Dollhouse and miniatures
Game boards
Whatever comes to mind

Ahhhhh can’t wait!

4 Likes

Is there more than the Catan board cause thats all I see?

It’s the whole process from start to finish. Designing, drawing, engraving, cutting, finishing, all in animated gifs. You might not be able to see the animations if you’re using an old browser that goes support the file type…

Okay thanks for clarifying.

magnet sheets

There is a discussion on magnet sheets that seems to indicate that they aren’t all laser safe.

I’d love to be able to cut them with the glowforge; though there may be better methods. I just know that X-acto isn’t super efficient and it doesn’t come out real clean… at least not when I’m the one holding the knife.

If I could buy laser-safe proofgrade magnet sheets, sticky or not, I’d buy a few rolls each year.

6 Likes

1/8 - 1/4 hardwoods and plywood
stamp material
acrylics, clear and colored
aluminum
other metals or metallic colored materials

1 Like
  • 1/8" plywood
  • 1/4" plywood
  • leather
  • hardwoods
  • acrylic/delrin
  • cork

I’m most looking forward to making custom notebooks, bags, etc. with leather. I foresee making mostly things for home use and gifts, as opposed to a business.

3 Likes

I’ll also put out a request for laser-able rubber… as in stuff to make rubber stamps.

4 Likes

It was mentioned above, but I would like to second an alternative to solid color vinyl sheets with adhesive backing for making decals or stickers.

There is a company that makes something similar that is PVC-Free, but their site hasn’t been updated in a while, and I would really like something from a reliable source.

6 Likes

Would playing cards be possible? Preferably the flexible plastic type, like KEM cards (cellulose acetate); perhaps a plastic “sandwich” with a dark layer within lighter layers, for contrast once the cards are etched; but might be able to use a single layer of plastic and a “scrimshaw” method of coloring in the etched designs instead…

Speaking of scrimshaw: artificial ivory, in plaques, cabochons, and pendant shapes.

Polyhedral dice for gamers!

Velvet and other fabrics compatible with “burn out” patterns

Watchbands, leather and “Twistoflex” types with flat links

Pre-enameled (or colored titanium?) metal jewelry blanks (eg, metal with black enamel; the enamel can be removed by the Glowforge leaving the contrasting metal beneath to show the pattern)

6 Likes

Oooh, I love all of @barbaradace’s suggestions. Ditto on those!

2 Likes

So I’m not the only one to remember “Twistoflex” bands? (and the commercials?):relaxed:

3 Likes