QOTD from Glowforge: What Proofgrade materials do you want?

Aren’t those the ones that used to rip out your arm hair? :grimacing: :anguished: :grin:

4 Likes

I sport several scars on the back of my hand from the winding stem impacting from me smacking something into place.
Twistoflex was a poor choice for my lifestyle.

5 Likes

a little of everything would be great. I have made things out of all of them.

2 Likes

I don’t know how I missed this thread…

I’m interested in solid wood that is 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, whatever I can get my hands on. I’m also interested in a variety of colors and shades.

Plywood, for sure, in whatever thicknesses plywood can come in.

Rolls of the masking/backing paper.

In general, materials thinner than 1/4 inch. Nearly all of my designs involve layering and 1/4 inch layers get very thick very quickly.

I’m also interested in a rating system or something for stinky-ness of the material while it’s cutting. I haven’t used a laser before, and I’ve learned from the forums that some materials smell a great deal - leather, for example. I don’t mind a wood or smokey smell, but I definitely want to avoid stinkier things. For those of us who are new, this information before we buy would be great.

And, most of all, bulk discounts or packaged deals. I’m the sort of person who likes to stock up and have a lot of supplies on hand. There’s something about seeing the materials all nice and organized and just waiting :slight_smile: I know that isn’t everyone, but once I know what supplies I like, I’m not all that interested in buying them one sheet at a time.

9 Likes

Went to Laguiole in France, a knife making center. This is the steak knife capital of France in the Aveyron region famous for the aubrac beef cattle. One shop had this display for knife handle samples. Just to keep the options open.

18 Likes

I liked seeing this. I bought a Laguiole knife for my husband over 30 years ago, but not in France…in Switzerland. So beautifully made.

4 Likes

I actually didn’t think I had something to add to this thread as I want to try every thing maybe even more than once. So, I’d actually just been skimming it.

But now I’ve come to realize I’d love a subscription where I could pay a modest fee say $30-$50 per month and get a random grab bag of materials to experiment with. So not really a material but a service/way to consume materials I thought tangentially related.

15 Likes

Material of the month club! I’m in!

12 Likes

ooooo, I like the idea. Maybe add design of the month club too? Maybe allow people to sign up for one, the other, or both (the materials that go with the design)? ooooooo

9 Likes

Love the ideas - something like this helps us because if we know there’s guaranteed demand, we can get bigger/better pricing and/or commission really special designs.

21 Likes

My daughter got me an interesting birthday present last year called a “Handy Box”. It’s a monthly box I get in the mail with a few (relatively low cost but generally useful) tools or handy things. I wouldn’t likely buy much of it but I still like opening it and I do use something from every box. Some of the cheaper items go into my traveling tool kits in the cars or bikes.

The same thing from Glowforge would be cool. It might not be something I’d buy myself but very likely would be something I’d use once having it - either materials I wouldn’t think of trying or a design that I wouldn’t make because I didn’t have the materials needed. I would sign up in a minute. Not sure what price level I’d reconsider that but $50/mo would be a no-brainer. Might be worth a poll :grinning:

4 Likes

Use the mystery tackle box as a guide to follow. Love the service and always feel like a got a deal after going thru it.

2 Likes

I always like the idea of monthly subscription boxes. The execution always seems a bit iffy.

I guess where it blows up for me is most boxes are not from the producer/primary vendor of the contents. So you have to pay the box person[s] to research and collect a theme of items for the month, add their shipping to you and their profit, then you add the profit and shipping times and costs for everyone who provides the contents for the box.

But it’s exactly the idea I was thinking. Just less value lost because Glowforge is the source of proofgrade materials.

5 Likes

Interesting. Every personality is different. There are few things that irritate me, but the monthly subscriptions services are one of those. Always felt like the company was taking advantage of that one weak moment I had when first signing up. Stuff would come every month that I didn’t want at that moment, were duplicates of something I already had or were just subscriptions that I forgot to cancel. Shipping and handling were always as much as the materials. Often the cancellation process was far more difficult than signing up. “Just click this box and you’ll get cool stuff every month.” “To cancel please send a written notification to blah, blah Phoenix AZ. Cancellation may take up to 45 days and you are responsible for shipments until that time.”

$7.95 spent poorly always bothered me far more than $1000 spent for something I really wanted, even if I didn’t have the $1000.

10 Likes

I did a cookbook of the month club for a while. Amazing how many months I forgot to click “cancel” for certain months. I got way too many dessert books. The only one I really liked was a wine of the month, but couldn’t drink it fast enough and some weren’t for cellaring.

4 Likes

Ahh, yes…the old record/book clubs. I remember them well. :smile:

4 Likes

Execution is everything. Most of us old enough feel violated by the old book/tape of the month thing, but nowadays I see bespoke boxes that at least for certain folk would be like Xmas every month.

I’d try one of these for the GF if it existed and would continue if every month or nearly every month I got a box and I was all “look, $100 worth of stuff for $22 and I have use for all of it!”

4 Likes

Many years ago, even though we were sort of poor at the time, we subscribed to a series of ‘Time Life’ book about ancient civilizations. At first we were giddy with each new book and read them from cover to cover. Months down the line, we could have sworn that they were now inventing NEW ancient civilizations just to keep getting our money…and we eventually unsubscribed.

10 Likes

Yep! My folks had those too! :grin:

4 Likes

We did loot crate for a bit but ended up with too much unwanted junk…lol
We do Tinker Crate for my 12 year old…it suppliments for science in homeschool…alot of the projects are laser cut so sometimes we duplicate for more copies…especially for the trebuchet!!:smile: Cant have enough of those around…lol

7 Likes