QOTD: Your Creative Resolutions

I am greatly looking forward to adding the laser to my resume of tools and so many materials and techniques I’ve never been able to work with before. I intend to learn all that I can, and push the limits of my knowledge and skill to new heights thanks to the gf, and to make all of my 2016 gifts possible with my laser using those new skills. I already have a list of gift ideas going. I also intend to find and participate in a local maker space before and after I get my GF, to help further my own knowledge and to share as well

1 Like

Does finally finishing my school portfolio count?

1- draw more- I used to sketch all the time, but now I hardly do it (I blame work.) Specifically, I want to get better at drawing people.
2-set up a small online store, with the goal of eventually selling things I’ve made with my Glowforge.
3-make ALL the Christmas gifts next year!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to getting the Glowforge as cutting my leather patterns by hand has really started taking a toll on my hands and elbows, but while I wait my resolutions are:

1. Finish all existing leather and clay projects that I didn’t finish for 2015.
  2. Do at least one large Charcoal drawing a month.
  3. Get my site side store complete so I don’t have to rely on Etsy for everything.
  4. Brush up on the 3D functions of Photoshop and Illustrator.

For anyone that is interest in looking at my portfolio/gallery: http://agrimmdesign.com/portfolio/

3 Likes

I love all the cool stuff on your website. Especially the leather work and your drawings. Thanks for showing us!

2 Likes

Love the work, amazingly varied. Much of the leather works seems very varied in height of engraving (if that is the right word) which must be very hard to do. It will be interesting to see how a laser does in replicating that carve work.

However I am pretty sure it is illegal to have a Boston Red Sox B in the same portfolio at Texas symbols…

2 Likes

Update on my creative project, a Mathias Wandel bandsaw. This is the final glue up of the main six layers. I don’t know if it will be cheaper or not than buying a bandsaw. Had to buy a few more clamps. That’s one thing about a project. Figure in tool cost in addition to material cost! It’s been a good project because it’s helping me work with plans, precise measurement, glue up, and Sketchup.

6 Likes

Thank you @Xabbess

And thank you @henryhbk The word would be tooled or stamped. I do all of the leather tooling by hand and that it something I will continue to do even after the GFP, it’s just something that cannot be replicated any other way other then with wet leather and pressure, in my case with a small tool and hammer. But I am excited to see what I can do with the laser, because I can only go into so much detail by hand.

2 Likes

Spike, it IS a lot of fun! If you’re just starting out, check out ebay for some inexpensive tools. Just really need the basics. Also, any tool can be modified to fit what you’re working on.
Good luck!

1 Like

I think we’re talking about horses of a different color. Comparing tooling/stamping to lasering is like comparing a photo to a painting. Tooling is an art all by itself. I’m excited to do some lasering just for some different kind of projects, but I’ll never give up my tooling! (Nice to see other leatherheads on here!)

3 Likes

I’m with @jtaylor. My goal will be to work more outside my comfort zone. Too often I don’t take on a project because i feel I can’t pull it off.

I also want to start doing more projects with my son to get him more interested in building things.

2 Likes

My goal is to save and take over the world of tabletop rpg gaming.

1 Like

I cant wait to see what you have in store! I definitely have some board game based projects on the slate when I get my GF!

Nice goals, Bailey - my wife also is into painting and other art projects.

For me, my resolution…and this may sound hippy, is to focus more on making things that are helpful for basically…the world ;-). I’ve used the 3D printing to make all kinds of completely novel things like rubber band guns and gear cubes, etc…all very cool and fun, but I want to see more creative juice applied to doing good.

There’s some cool 3D printing projects -one that allow you to setup your own hydro gardens, which can be helpful in urban areas, wheelchairs for dogs, floating bucket adapters that sift garbage and oil off of water surfaces, etc.

I always admired the TED talk of a professor who travels to Africa every year to work with kids and come up with engineering projects that help their community. They’re come up with ways of making fairly inexpensive water pumps for wells and even simple modifications to bicycles that allow you to grind corn/ wheat more efficiently.

Sorry for the lengthy response…I normally just like to make cool new things, but why not make them actually useful and helpful?!

1 Like

Completing and pushing my product line of natural body products. Learning how to design things in 3d since I also want a 3d printer. Finding someone to copy a small glass design for essential oils. Seeing up a proper work room. Paint more. For myself. For fun.

And hopefully push myself to just go ahead and do things bc I have a fear of things not being perfect so then I don’t do it. I need to relax.

1 Like

The curse of an artist - your own worst critic.
When the result is less than you invisioned, falling short is what will empower you to push against your limits.
It is the journey that counts, that’s where you grow. The result you were after is just the cherry on top.

1 Like

If only my brain could understand that. I also have an anxiety disorder so :stuck_out_tongue:

theres always version 2!

1 Like

That’s the frame of thought I should have. Tho making mistakes can get a bit pricey with some of the products I make. I have to make an effort to think more positively ^^

2 Likes

I just watched the southpark documentary 6 days to air last night. Its about them having 6 days between book of mormon and the start of their new season to get an episode done from start to finish. They didnt even know what it was going to be about. One of the concepts that Trey puts out there is the time limitation factor in completing a project/episode. As they have a hard deadline, they just have to finish things. He said if he had as much time as he wanted he would probably spend an extra 4-5 weeks on the episode and it would maybe be 5% better. The last day or two before its done, they hate everything theyve done and think its awful, and then once it finally gets to air and everyone loves it, they ease up on themselves.

Sometimes its hard to see past all the tiny little things, but most of the time youre the only one that sees them. In some senses it can be good as it helps you progress in your craft, but you have to use it as a motivator instead of a demotivator. I know the struggle all too well

2 Likes

That is key. It is a living skill. A positive attitude - always keep a finger on the positive side of that scale, and it will pay off in spades.

Synapses frequently used become more adept.
I remember holding my Daughter at about 12+ months, her eyes fixed on the outside world around her. Her arms extended to the sides, wrists, hands and fingers constantly flexing, that she was oblivious to.
Her brain was establishing neural pathways for motor control - and prunning millions of redundant connections she was born with. That’s how we wire ourselves.
The wiring for our mental processes is similar in that established pathways are to a degree default. Path of least resistance as it were.
“Seek and ye shall find” is a deep truth regarding your perspective, as we tend to find what we are looking for.
I have a neighbor, poor guy who’s life is always out of joint. Across twenty years there has always been something wrong, missing or corrupt. It is what he expects, so that’s what he sees. He has inadvertently wired himself that way across life.

To find a reason to be upset or anxious we won’t have to look far. The same holds for reasons to be grateful and satisfied.
The key is perspective. Be careful with it, it colors your life.

takitus makes a good point about clearity when you are immersed in a project so deep you can’t see the forest for the trees.
Sometimes I feel like I am pushing against a current to progress further in a project. When I am able to recognize that - I mentally turn around, pick my feet up and let that current carry me. Time to take a break, walk around and come back with a view from altitude.

I can hardly wait to start making mistakes with my laser. (I just want to make them on cardboard and pine instead of leather and walnut.) :slightly_smiling:

5 Likes