Questions from a Newbie

HELP! I am totally confused or am I thinking too hard? Here’s the scenario. I have a 1/4” board that I want to engrave and cut. Do I have place something under it to lift it higher? I have seen in videos that they put “risers” under certain items because it is too low. When would I need to place risers or additional pieces under my substrate? I haven’t cut anything today because this has confused me. Where does the 2” come in?

You do not have to do anything for 1/4” material except place it on the honeycomb tray and insure that it is held flat. Material over 1/2” requires the removal of the honeycomb tray.

3 Likes

So you can put all products under 1/2 inch ‘on’ the honeycomb tray and be fine. If it’s more than 1/2 inch, that’s when you need to remove the honeycomb tray and lift the product so it’s at least 1 1/2 inches in total height max of 2 inches.

3 Likes

Here is a quick easy way to make sure your material is in range with the tray removed.

4 Likes

Is there a conversion for the various types of wood? For example, at my local Home Depot, they have Birch plywood. Is this the same as Baltic Birch? I am new to wood, so I don’t know the difference. What is hard and soft wood?

Birch plywood is not the same as baltic birch. Some of they plywood purchased at big box stores will be poor choices for the Glowforge. Voids, glue spots and the various products used in the manufacturing process make it impossible to cut with a laser.

4 Likes

I have had good luck with this product from Home Depot. It is unfinished.

I am almost 67 years old and I lived about 55 of them thinking hardwood had to do with the density, but it is actually a botanical classification regarding the seeds the tree produces. If the seed has a coating, like a shell, it’s hardwood.
Balsa which is very soft is actually classified as hardwood. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I made that mistake :scream: HD Birch is the worst I have ever encountered and worse I was a total newbie when I got it and did not understand at first what was happening.

This is the photo I saved …

As you can see the cut was so hot it burned away the center that should have just cut but could not make it through the laser-proof glue that was just an extra drop on the ply.

Real Baltic Birch will cut almost perfectly the same everywhere.

1 Like

I went through 4 boxes (10pc. each) of the 5/32 and didn’t encounter any fills in the Columbia forest products. I have seen Bondo fills like your picture in the regular ply.

3 Likes

They cut great but are usually filled with MDF which is a deal breaker for me.

1 Like

Yeah, the core is MDF.

1 Like

The only issues I have had with Purebond is how warped it is, but that’s easily addressed.

Glowforge “Proofgrade” ply also has an MDF core.

I’ve used my share of Baltic Birch but there’s no advantage - for me.

3 Likes

Yup! but only with the Medium. The thick and the light have cores of actual wood (and cut much better because of it.)
:grin:

1 Like

Regarding the silicon watch bands, after I have scrubbed them with either Dawn or Dawn Powerwash, they are still white where it was scored. Am I not cleaning them enough or is it the settings? These are my settings: Speed 195; Power 25 Focus .108

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.