Random Lines in Acrylic Engrave


#1

Yesterday I cut the same file twice and both have random lines in them. The first had a couple of smaller vertical lines in it. I cut the second one due to the small lines in the first and the second was far worse with horizontal lines all the way through the letters.

The file is exactly the same file and the lines are completely different.

(The odd texture you may see behind/through the acrylic is my beat up table it’s sitting on. Don’t let that distract you)




#2

I’m not an expert at all, but are the files in .pdf format? I believe that some of the other types can have an interlacing effect, and sizing the prints may have shifted the line, possibly?


#3

They are SVGs.


#4

Here’s the file I used both times.


#5

not sure if/how this would affect it, but i get a font error when i open the SVG in illustrator.

Mentari:

An unknown problem occurred.


AvenirNext-BoldItalic:

An unknown problem occurred.


AvenirNext-Bold:

An unknown problem occurred.


now, i don’t see any text in it, but it’s odd that i’d get that error. and if the GFUI sees text, it will usually error out.

you also have a random no fill/no stroke line outside of the cut line off to the right. it’s about even with the top loop of the es in the name. but not even with what looks like the score line i see in your final print.

what does it look like in the GFUI?

when i select all in AI, this is what i see.

definitely a couple of awkward things going on in your file.


#6

Like i said, I’m not expert, so that was just one suggestion that I have heard before. Another thought i had is, did the acrylic have a light line in it before hand? Also, was the cut turned the same way in the GF each time, or maybe rotated 90 degrees the second time? If it was rotated, the line could be in the same place, suggesting maybe a small bit of obstruction on the track, or in the belt at that point.
Yeah, the errors that ‘Shop’ had are a bit suspicious.


#7

The “font errors” could simply result from the fonts used not being installed on his computer.


#8

they aren’t installed on my computer, but that’s not really the issue. the issue is that there shouldn’t be any font information in an SVG you print to the GF. all fonts need to be converted to curves/outlines. GFUI doesn’t digest fonts.


#9

I’m aware that font information shouldn’t be in the SVG. Why would your computer even care about which fonts were used if it’s a vector. I wonder if the fonts weren’t successfully or completely converted to paths/outlines.


#10

I opened up in Inkscape and right away see that if you select everything in all layers the box is bigger to the right than the cut outline. I tried to see what else it was in there but could not select it. I then selected all again and did a object ungroup and found a whole lot of bounding boxes all over the place. But as soon as I try and select any of them they just go away and eventually I do find an object in the right. But if i do another ungroup then all of the text breaks into individual objects and that could lead to items moving in the app.


#11

i’m not sure what you’re trying to get at.

my point is there could be a problem with the file in the GFUI if it’s reading that there is font information in the SVG when i open it in illustrator. there shouldn’t be any font info. i didn’t see any actual text in there. but i still got the error. we’re trying to troubleshoot what’s happening in the print and when you see something that doesn’t make sense, it makes you wonder if there’s something corrupt in the file.

both the font error and the random little line with no stroke or fill off to the side could be causing an issue.


#12

I’m not arguing with you, I’m in agreement. That’s why I stated why would your computer care what fonts were used; ergo it leads me to think that there’s something up with the file.


#13

I then selected all text for name and did path union to make it all one box. did the same for the message under name and then grouped both with the cut box and uploaded to app with no issues and showed two operations with no errors or extra large bounding boxes which usually means open or misplaced paths that usually lead to those extra lines.


#14

FWIW, the font is being referenced in the following:

As CSS styles:

.st6{font-family:‘Mentari’;}
.st8{font-family:‘AvenirNext-BoldItalic’;}
.st10{font-family:‘AvenirNext-Bold’;}

and then individual calls for the style designator

< text transform=“matrix(1 0 0 1 54.5877 359.6601)” class=“st0 st6 st7”>Matt Vasquez< /text>

There are separate CSS styles that turn the visibility off for those (like st0 in the above), but they are still in the file, which is why you’re seeing the font error on loading into AI.


#15

I’m sorry for the inconvenience. We’re seeing this too and we’re looking into it.

As a workaround, converting your design to a bitmap will consistently prevent the extra line from appearing.

  1. Download Inkscape. You can read more about it and learn how to get started here.
  2. Open Inkscape
  3. Go to File > Open and select your file
  4. After the file opens, select your design
  5. Choose Edit > Make a Bitmap Copy
  6. Inkscape will make a bitmap copy on top of the original artwork
  7. Click the top artwork to select it, drag it off of the original artwork, and delete the original artwork. You’ll be left with the bitmap copy.
  8. Select File > Save As and save the file as a Inkscape SVG file
  9. Upload your file to the app and print

I’m going to close this thread - if you continue to see the problem while using the workaround, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!


#16