Rapidly losing confidence in GlowForge

Back to the topic. I feel you @pdbarnett and if you go back to my post history it starts really angry. In fact much like yours, a lot of “don’t tell people not to be angry”.

As time goes on I keep feeling like this is either going to be magic or disappointing, anything in the middle will default to disappointing seeing that it has to, unfairly, “make up” for the delays.

I flip flop weekly between sticking it out and getting a refund. You’ll ultimately do what you think is best, hopefully it’s what’s best for you.

Right now lizard brain’s loss aversion can’t bear the possibility that it works out and it’s amazing, that I’ll regret not owning one. A more rational version of me isn’t on the board, typing this post. That person is one pro unit+filter+shipping richer in cash, not that he knows what to spend it on being the passionless fop he is.

Good luck, tough choice.

6 Likes

I’m mostly waiting to see what dremel wants to charge for theirs :wink:

1 Like

And when they’re gonna deliver. The sales rep/demo-er I spoke to made a bunch of words about being committed to safety and quality and ease of use and they won’t release until they get it all right.

Here’s some pics. The box on the left side under the guy’s arm is the coolant and fan.

I did not see FSL or a Muse. Did see a few Makers using blue K40s on their projects.

7 Likes

I’m making a lab PSU as well, but from wood, and with vintage style gauges.

5 Likes

Smeagol heard I’m getting a Glowforge.

Just got the 100" screen today. Ultimately I’ll install a retractable screen but that’s down the road a bit. This gives me a feel for the space and I’ll probably tweak the size a bit when the time comes.

For the short team it is amazing. The protector is a decade + Sony that is 720p native. I just picked up a new amp from Goodwill for $13 that does a better job decoding than my old amp. The old amp moves to secondary duty driving the kitchen and outdoors.

I still need to add a pair of rear surrounds to the mix but I have four ceiling speakers mixed with Infinity towers and center. So many projects that got started and never finished are coming together in this house. :blush:

9 Likes

It’s it flattery that the Dremel looks like the stepchild of Muse and Glowforge?

4 Likes

I’ve read more than once that it’s using the same casing as the muse. Which makes sense given their 3d printing products being rebadged from other models.

3 Likes

Next up: I can’t wait for Monoprice to come out with their knockoff.

9 Likes

Only 2 of the 6 printers they announced at (CES?) have come out, so don’t hold your breath

2 Likes

In other news, I love al pastor tacos.

11 Likes

Those are great! I need to make a similar enclosure for some lighting controls.

2 Likes

I didn’t see any cameras in the display models they had.

1 Like

My problem is not with unforeseen problems during the development process, but their inability to communicate in a timely manner. They’ve had two major setbacks in projected times and seem to be nearing a third. They were off by their protection by a very significant amount of time, and didn’t communicate that until the last minute. I find it hard to believe that they didn’t know they were going to be late until they were late. If I were providing a product to a client and was off by that much time and had this level of communication I would not be in business. I would hope they have learned from the prior missteps and be proactive in communicating any potential delays. I would rather hear the news that it was going to potentially be delayed, and that it wasn’t, then hear last minute is been pushed back once again. TLDR I hope I’m surprised, and receive it next month, but don’t expect it.

3 Likes

Agreed, things do appear to have slowed down from the forum’s perspective.

I’ve been keeping up with a few non-forum participating folk who have recently not only received the emails, they have their machines. I also have a lot of private communications with the folks who have been here for a while. Many do not choose to participate in the spreadsheet, since it seems to upset a lot of people unduly.

But one of my main methods to tell where things really stand is to watch for first project posts from new forum participants. It’s still going on. Figuring it out requires reading all of the posts, not just the ones on shipping delays, and not everyone has time for that, so that tends to leave a few folks more concerned than they might otherwise be. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I track all the emails and machines mentioned in the forum in my own spreadsheet. It shows the same slowdown as the public one. For example the public one shows only three emails in the last 14 days. I have seen 5 but there were up to 8 per day a month ago, so a massive slowdown. None since Tuesday in fact.

Machines are still trickling out but still a lot of people had emails nearly a month without dispatch, so again the dispatch rate has not kept up with emails.

So unless GF has suddenly switched to only emailing people who don’t mention it they have slowed right down for two weeks.

4 Likes

I’m hoping the ones that are trickling out are units being built for training new production staff.

1 Like

Who knows. Could be a parts shortage. Might have failed NRTL and need a design update. Might have switched to build first email later. We will probably never know but all the time the days are ticking down to make them and ship them. Current lead time from email is about the same as the time left.

2 Likes

Unless you get a really nice retractable screen they are prone to wrinkles. The wrinkles are visible under the video and will drive you mad. My advice is, once you have lived with your fixed screen for a while, make an honest assessment of whether or not you’d actually retract it if you could.

I went down the same road and realized I never retracted my retractable screen, so I got a fixed screen and was much happier.

My other piece of advice is to get the biggest screen that fits your viewing area. I have never seen someone post, “guys I got the next size up and I really regret it.”

3 Likes

The screen is in front of a bay window. I wouldn’t want to lose the natural light. Currently it has been blocked by the TV. Once everything is done it will be nice to open that back up again.

For the retractable screen I would be looking at a recessed unit with tensioning. Possibly even a dual setup for 16:9 and 2.35:1.

It isn’t a short term project as it will involve rebuilding the wall. The original block walls have been faced with studs and sheetrock but it isn’t deep enough to hold the recessed unit.

100% with you