I posted previously about etching a detailed, small design on cast acrylic. I eventually found something suitable thanks to off-focusing, but not quite the quality I had on an Epilog/Universal. I have another small-detailed design for a different material and can’t seem to meet my quality requirements.
I’ve troubleshooted raster quality for hours, it seems like the GF doesn’t have the raster quality of other machines I’ve used I hope it’s just some settings I can toggle to fix, but it is looking bleak.
Material: Rowmark Lasermax 1/8"
bottom right --> engraving from an Epilog cutter
the rest --> my attempts at achieving the same quality.
- The border around the left logo is spotty on the vertical parts.
- The “play” looks spotty as well.
- The texture is not smooth.
The art is 5mm tall, created in .ai and loaded in as a .pdf.
Settings I tried to vary:
- Speed --> kept at 1000
- Power --> 15 was OK, 30 was deep and sometimes erased details, ~10 was too light and didn’t burn off the gold sometimes.
- lpi --> kept at 340 (too much = overlap, is what I’ve gleamed)
- Off-focusing --> .18", tried 0.2" and on focus but nothing seemed to improve
Other troubleshooting steps I tried:
- Trimming down the image by adding a white inner stroke, etc. etc.
- Scaling everything by 120%, didn’t improve it that much
- Scoring the border, “TM”, and small details. It ended up cutting through the material! Even at 3 power and max speed!
I’m pretty tired of this, so maybe I just have to tweak the design of the whole piece and stop struggling with tiny rasters. Tomorrow I will explore some more off-focus distances, try scoring again.