Really low number of likes

I ran out of likes yesterday and had to wait for some this morning. I only got to use about 3 before I had run out again. Is it some strange rolling scheme?

24 Likes

i think it’s a rolling 24-hour (?) period. this happens to me sometimes. just wait a few more hours. i find it a really strange thing to limit by discourse (yes its malleable but the idea at all is strange imo).

2 Likes

The odd thing is after I waited all night it said I needed to wait two more hours, so maybe I was waiting for the US day to start. Then I didn’t get many and am now having to wait again. Seems like they don’t reset each day they somehow add slowly. But then I didn’t get any while I was sleeping, so who knows.

3 Likes

You can have all my likes. I rarely use them.

13 Likes

right, but you probably went through a bunch later in the day, so it hasn’t been 24 hours since you used them all.

Lately, when I’ve run out, it’s told me how long I will have to wait. I think it’s rolling, but for all I know it might be GMT.

I think it should be scaled by the number of forum posts. It doesn’t make a lot of sense that each post has less chance of likes as the forum gets busier.

3 Likes

I have never run out of likes… maybe I need to be nicer

13 Likes

Want to watch yourself there. It wasn’t even a day after I commented about never having run out that I ran out for the first time.

3 Likes

I’ve poked around Discourse settings for my company’s forums before and I don’t remember that being an option, so put that decision on them, not the Glowforge team.

pretty sure it’s in the admin settings somewhere (or possibly hidden in a config file), dan has mentioned adjusting them iirc.

3 Likes

It’s early and I had a late flight so I reread. If he meant just adjusting the total likes higher and higher as time goes on, definitely a setting. I somehow read it as adjusting the number of likes based on how active the forum is on any given day automatically and maybe that is, too. It’s not a setting I spent much time with.

2 Likes

ah, yeah.

1 Like

I had no idea you could run out of likes. How many is normal?

This could be bad. I like a lot of things, so I Like a lot of things.

2 Likes

well if you didn’t know you could run out, clearly you haven’t had to worry about it! :smiley:

i think the default is 50, maybe? no clue what it is now.

tidbit: 13% of all likes given on this forum have happened in the last 30 days.

3 Likes

Like, oh my god! I was like, totally out of like, likes!

4 Likes

I think Member status gets 25 to 30 per 24 hour periods.

From the Discourse web site (also, these can be modified by the site Admin):

Members (2)

Members keep coming back to the site, and have participated long enough to earn complete citizenship.

They can get to trust level 2 by…

visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
casting at least 1 like
receiving at least 1 like
replying to at least 3 different topics
entering at least 20 topics
reading at least 100 posts
spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/5

Regulars are the most active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time.

They can get to trust level 3 by…

This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days…

must have visited at least 50% of days
must have replied to at least 10 different topics
of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
must not have been suspended

• These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.

All of these must be true.

Unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements, whether from flagging or the passage of time, you will be demoted to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

1 Like

I typically run out of Likes about 3 or 4 times a week now. Used to do it every day. It refreshes in a few hours, so I’ve scaled back some with the spreading of the love.

Good puns always draw one though…can’t help it. :smile:

I’d probably run through 500 a day if we had them though…never enough of those things.

9 Likes

you’re correct, i just thought i remembered dan saying he’d changed this; i admit i may be conflating two separate variables, however

1 Like

What… You can’t remember ALL the details of the 138,000 plus postings :astonished::astonished::astonished:

I have lost all my confidence in my north of the border compadres :disappointed:

9 Likes