Really low number of likes

hahahah.

i can honestly barely remember yesterday. i have a wretched memory.

3 Likes

Each likes is on itā€™s own 24 hour aging. So If you start like 1 post at 3PM and then a mass of likes at 10PM to max youā€™ll get 1 more like at 3PM the next day and then have to wait till the rest expire around 10PM.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been running out of Likes much more often in the last few weeks than I used to. :cry:

2 Likes

That is explains it thanks. Seems an overly complicated scheme.

2 Likes

you can always unlike a less liked post but Iā€™d personally hate that solution.

2 Likes

Iā€™m perpetually OOL these days. True, I tend to be fairly generous with the like button (here, as well as on social media platforms) but it seems like we need a higher allotment.

Or perhaps I just need to spend less time hereā€¦

6 Likes

Good luck with thatā€¦ I think a bunch of us will have to start going to meetings. We just need to figure out how to make sure everybody doesnā€™t ā€œprintā€ their own tokens when they get their GFs

3 Likes

I thought yā€™all were kidding when you said you were out of likes!

Reading this topic, I guess itā€™s really a thing.

2 Likes

It is if you read every post, especially since machines started being delivered and people are posting great things they have made. There are a lot of things to like. That is why I think the number should be scaled by forums posts.

6 Likes

I donā€™t quite understand the psychology behind limiting likes. I first assumed that limiting likes was a terrible idea because it encourages people not to like something in order to save them for valuable things. And having something liked on your post encourages you to return, so a plethora of likes is a good thing.

At the same time, limiting likes may help the forum curate topics distilling the most valuable over time. However, Iā€™m not sure that would really happen given that most people never run out of likes, and theyā€™re often surprised when they do which suggests they werenā€™t really using them judiciously enough to have been curating for the forum.

I now think itā€™s kind of a reverse psychology thing. Once you realize you can run out of likes, you kind of want to. And the act of liking things is sort of like practicing gratitude. It actually creates in you the liking of the things. And has the added benefit of posts being liked which encourages posters.

Itā€™s a subtle and, I think, brilliant forum tool.

Edit - the problem is that Iā€™m naturally suspicious of the limited likes and it really has caused me to avoid liking things. Why do they limit my likes? Do they want me to like things? Do they not want me to like things? I better back off until I figure it out. I bookmark things often without liking them. I think Iā€™ll start liking things more. It seems disingenuous to bookmark something without also letting a person know that you like and appreciate their idea.

4 Likes

The early months of the forum were quite sparse with likes as I experienced. I certainly didnā€™t give out likes much. Then things got tweaked a bit and then we got a few more engaged users who started giving them out and then folks started running out of likes. I had no idea and I was on the forum for six months I think before I figured that out. Then I looked at my statistics finally and noted I got twice as many likes as I gave. That shamed me into giving more. There was also a lot more pretty stuff to look at as people shared and I tended to like them more than like a purely text post that might have made a good point. Eventually I reached a point where I was out of likes. I think I did it just for the badge because I was jealous of all the cool kids who got ā€œcrazy in loveā€ badges. Ha. So I give a lot more and am more encouraging now. Canā€™t recall when I last ran out of likes though. I did get the crazy in love badge 20 times though.

10 Likes

Out of random curiosity I just checked and thereā€™s only 47 of us with that one. Seems like not that many - I expected more.

4 Likes

Used 50 likes in a day 20 times - I should be there soon. Iā€™m kind of surprised Iā€™m not there already but Iā€™ve never worried about badges more than to checking to see what I just got awarded.

I did tooā€¦we used to have lots of folks that were always running out.

1 Like

pretty sure dan increased the number at one point because of that.

Never used all my likes. you guys are impressive, but not that impressive.:grinning:

9 Likes

:smile: What can I say? ā€¦ I like a lot of stuff.

5 Likes

I liked your post, but I felt a bit weird doing it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I think part of the limit is because the likes are used as part of the reputation system. Limiting them gives a certain ā€œvalueā€ to them which makes them more meaningful in a game theory kind of way.

It also gamifies things a bitā€“indeed all the badges doā€“which has been shown to increase engagement.

4 Likes