Recreating old boat sign

Hello all, been a while. So got asked to recreate this old boat sign. Mirrored for both sides of the rear of the boat. 99% of the work I do is with acrylic. I’ve got all the measurements I need. Customer even wants to wrap the letters in new chrome vinyl so that’s a bonus. My question is the texture in the picture. I’ll be using 1/8 black acrylic(unless better recommendations surface). But the textured appearance, is there a vector or pattern that the forge can tackle to somewhat mimic this?
Thank you all!

3 Likes

Looks like a leather texture. I’m sorry that I don’t know the answer though!

3 Likes

It looks like you need to do the background as a bitmap to get the fill the way you want it, the letters look painted on with silver paint you could cheat and do the background first then vector cut the letters in mirrored acrylic and glue it on

2 Likes

Yeah that was my plan for the letters. Just making that. Just trying to think how to incorporate the 3/8 smooth border with the texture inside. If you don’t mind elaborate a little more on the bitmap you’re talking about.

1 Like

Here is a leather texture photo that looks kind of similar, do you know how to convert this to a bmp file?

4 Likes

I don’t not I’m sorry. Mind explaining?

1 Like

YOU BEAT ME to it!! :slight_smile:

make an image, with that Pattern and then engrave it onto the black acrylic, I just did something similar to mimic a “vinyl” record

which basically is a two pass, first pass pattern (engrave) then ‘grooves’ which was scoring.

5 Likes

If you are using some kind of graphics editing software you’ll be able to load it in there and then save as a bmp file. If not google it and you’ll find free online converters.

2 Likes

instead of .bmp maybe a .jpg will be easier, the GF imports both of them with no issues.

2 Likes

Well to be fair, your pic is a nicer texture :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

I like a png even better as I understand it is lossless unlike jpg.

6 Likes

@cessna0223 It looks like you are getting some great advice from our other amazing users! (thank you all for that).

You may also want to visit this thread, which also has great advice.

There are also a few other articles that may help:
https://community.glowforge.com/t/another-rabbit-hole-tons-of-textures/38146
https://community.glowforge.com/t/fun-with-texture/11269

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

Gimp with Filters and Wood Workshop also have a lot

1 Like

Thank you all for the help I appreciate it and will give it a go. I’ll post a pic good or bad with the end result

3 Likes

Last question id hate to get through the backing plate, leather texture, mirrored acrylic letters… just to screw up on adhesion. If you fine folks don’t mind what the best way to glue the letters(acrylic to acrylic) without a major headache or mess screwing up the project completely.

1 Like

You are looking for acrylic cement, like SCIGRIP or or Weld-On. There are various viscosities for different applications, so a little research/testing is advised.

Here’s a start:

2 Likes

All done! Thank you everyone for all the help!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.