Textured sign - How to

I have had several requests for a more detailed explanation of what I’m doing when making my textured signs. @cynd11 It’s not a video, but I made another sign so I could take pictures and document my process… so without further ado…

The first step of course is choosing your graphic. I try to pick one that will look good 3 dimensionally, that a sense of depth can be achieved. I chose this for our game room.

Since there will be plenty of paint to cover any flash marks, I didn’t mask off my material. After importing and sizing the artwork,

I flipped the image to print on the back side. This allows me to secure all the pieces with tape so that none are lost in removing from the GF. (On some projects I will use the material that I’m cutting from as the board that will be the sign. If so, I spray the entire thing with primer and an initial coating of texture, so the tape on the back keeps everything in place.)

Now I turn my attention to the different heights that I’m aiming for. I use cardstock to give me the raised effect. This one has several different levels so I used a thinner stock but more of them.

I decided to make my backing board out of 2.5mm 10ply cardstock, so I cut a piece the same size as the sign board and glued them together. (not shown)

Next, I carefully remove all the pieces that were cut from the mdf and cardstock and set them aside in separate stacks. Now I begin assembly (with out gluing) all of the pieces and cardstock to ensure fit and desire height.

While it is together, I start applying the texture.

This is the product I use, in whatever color is available to me.

I apply it until I get the texture to my liking and the let thoroughly dry. I needs to be really dry, so it sometimes takes a while.

My next step is to carefully disassemble the parts and paint them the colors chosen.

After drying, a begin assembly and glueing.

and Viola, finished project.

67 Likes

Great to be able to follow your design process.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Your stuff looks great with this technique!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the details @ovm.steve! I love that textured look.

3 Likes

yes that paint is really cool stuff.

sharp looking sign!

2 Likes

Very nice. Great detailed procedure.

2 Likes

And another post bookmarked, thanks for detailing out your process. That texture paint is a brilliant addition that I’ll definitely be trying out.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this write up.

2 Likes

Excellent description of that technique, thanks for that. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have never used textured paint but am anxious to give it a try. Thanks for all of the detail in your explanation. :blush:

1 Like

Wow, that’s an awesome step by step! Thanks so much! What is the material in your first photo—is it canvas?

2 Likes

The very first one is just a screen capture of a file on my computer, but now maybe I need to do a painted canvas engrave :thinking:.

thanks. inspired am I.

1 Like

Thanks for the step-by-step. Very nice,

2 Likes

As always, you work is very high quality! Well done!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the process, @ovm.steve! So cool! And good choice of team favs! Go Cards!! Can’t wait for baseball season to get here!

1 Like

Thank you.

Me too. We just got a message from our concierge at Busch Stadium tell us they are planning on open the stadium to a limited number of fans. As former season ticket holders we get to buy tickets if all goes well. We are so ready. Are you a Chiefs fan too?

@ovm,steve, that’s so great to hear! Hope you get to go! Not much of a football fan except when there were the STL Rams…But we’re big Blues fans!! :ice_hockey: :grin:

1 Like

Loved the Rams (not anymore though :angry:), love the Blues. I’m planning a Blues sign soon. But I am a huge Chiefs fan. Playing with Texture is one I did in December with their logo. I would like to texture the Mizzou logo (Another game room piece), but I will have to tweak it because the way it is designed it doesn’t lend it’s way to layers very well.

You’ll have to post a pic of your Mizzou art when you have it finished! My niece and son’s girlfriend both graduated from Mizzou! :grin:

1 Like