Repeat Last Job

I’m thinking one reason for them not to have storage for jobs is that, for a long time at least, the software is changing and any saved jobs might not run correctly with different software.

11 Likes

Thats definitely something to take into account, but I think easily manageable. If they save software version number (or even just a date) with the saved settings, they will be able to tell when something is negatively impacted by changes in the software and alert the user that the settings might not produce the previous output. Definitely a good point to bring up though!

8 Likes

I think the only reason I even noticed enough to bring it up was the processing time on this job just happened to be a bit of a wait. A lot of the things Ive been doing have barely any wait at all. Another added benefit though, would be all of the custom settings in each material etc.

In this job I used proofgrade settings as a base for everything, but I did have to make some changes to keep these from getting flashback damage, as they are a little easier to cut through than its proofgrade counterpart. Saving those changes in the file would be great if I had to come back to it down the road, because I know Id forget… lol

8 Likes

If you can save the setup for a job then the render could simply be cached with it and only recalculated if you modify the job. That way it could be transparent to the UI.

5 Likes

Exactly. This could even become incredibly useful down the road when people start using the same design from the catalog all over the place.

3 Likes

Great feature for the hopper (hoper?). I don’t think @Tony’s talked about it before, but I can see that “repeat exactly the same thing as before, fast” could be interesting for that sort of case.

Saved settings between prints are already in the hopper.

26 Likes

That would definitely be helpful. Perhaps pushing the button would prompt a “Repeat last job?” Dialogue in the UI if no job was currently in progress would be nice.

9 Likes

I see the need for a saved jobs feature and especially for a “repeat last job” feature. I’d almost go so far as to say the latter is essential.

4 Likes

Is that really an issue? I change CAM versions for my mill about once a year and the controller is fairly immature and gets upgraded several times a year. My 3D printer is also updated for firmware and slicer several times a year. I save jobs locally for each system and have no problem at all running them even after several updates.

2 Likes

Sure. A power settings that you use today may be completely wrong tomorrow. So your saved job has become, basically, useless.

I can see that happening on occasion but I hope the GF power settings are firm enough now, or at least by the time of release, so that saved jobs wouldn’t normally need to be re-run from scratch.

2 Likes

Could be. And I hope the same. Just presenting a plausible reason why it might not work. :slight_smile:

I can say with all certainty. Nope, even Proofgrade settings are still changing.

3 Likes

I think in the long-run it could be good, and even now, if the system shows updated profiles since the last cut, jut shoot a warning and force it to run a new print from scratch, saving the new file until the profiles change again.

2 Likes

Then I guess we have to hope they get nailed down pretty firmly by release. Nailed down or not, a :Repeat Last Job" feature would be nice and a way to save parameters locally for any job would be even better.

1 Like

Even if theyve changed, they still seem to work fine when ive been using them. Everything of mine comes out ok. As ok as my tube allows

That’s good to know. Hopefully GF can add the last job and saved job features to the UI shortly after production release. I can see the last job feature useful for most any user at one time or another and saved job would be useful to anyone that needs to periodically re-print jobs, like those selling commercially on Etsy or elsewhere.

2 Likes

Just to be clear… if you want to re-print the same job, you just put in new material, click “print” again, and push the button again.

13 Likes

Isn’t that part of the Joy of Proofgrade? material composition might vary slightly but glowforge will make sure the settings are dialed in for your specific batch/lot number?

5 Likes

That’s great - now we just need the print job database thingy somewhere down the line.

3 Likes