Repeat Last Job

I can see that happening on occasion but I hope the GF power settings are firm enough now, or at least by the time of release, so that saved jobs wouldn’t normally need to be re-run from scratch.

2 Likes

Could be. And I hope the same. Just presenting a plausible reason why it might not work. :slight_smile:

I can say with all certainty. Nope, even Proofgrade settings are still changing.

3 Likes

I think in the long-run it could be good, and even now, if the system shows updated profiles since the last cut, jut shoot a warning and force it to run a new print from scratch, saving the new file until the profiles change again.

2 Likes

Then I guess we have to hope they get nailed down pretty firmly by release. Nailed down or not, a :Repeat Last Job" feature would be nice and a way to save parameters locally for any job would be even better.

1 Like

Even if theyve changed, they still seem to work fine when ive been using them. Everything of mine comes out ok. As ok as my tube allows

That’s good to know. Hopefully GF can add the last job and saved job features to the UI shortly after production release. I can see the last job feature useful for most any user at one time or another and saved job would be useful to anyone that needs to periodically re-print jobs, like those selling commercially on Etsy or elsewhere.

2 Likes

Just to be clear… if you want to re-print the same job, you just put in new material, click “print” again, and push the button again.

13 Likes

Isn’t that part of the Joy of Proofgrade? material composition might vary slightly but glowforge will make sure the settings are dialed in for your specific batch/lot number?

5 Likes

That’s great - now we just need the print job database thingy somewhere down the line.

3 Likes

Exactly. But for the time being, we’re adjusting things a lot!

6 Likes

It depends on the semantics of ‘saved job’. For 3D printers, saving gcode files is very useful - once it’s generated for a specific material and printer, you can run it again with one click, while going back and re-slicing, etc., can be a lengthy process. Gcode is still valid when printer firmware changes, because it abstract away the details that the firmware deals with, so firmware should be able to interpret gcode no matter how old. If the GlowForge has gcode (or similar low-level instructions) I can see re-running a job as being very useful. Sure, it relies on the operator to get everything set up the same way (material, placement) but when you’re banging out a large quantity of something, that’s a good tradeoff.

If whatever low level instruction set GlowForge uses changes over time, they should version it when they make incompatible changes, and when the glow forge laser cutter receives incompatible old instructions it can reject it and force the job to re-render using the new version.

4 Likes

The process to re-send your job to your Glowforge a second time typically takes much less than a minute, so it’s a very different experience from the ponderous toolchain of a 3D printer (you just click “print” in the UI and push the button on the GF a minute later).

5 Likes

Ponderous? When I click print in my web browser, to reprint an object I have printed before, my 3D printer starts immediately and I don’t even need to be in the same room, I can watch it remotely.

3 Likes

I’m hesitant to speak for dan, but what I think he meant was, compared to re-rendering a 3d print (chugging out the g-code again from your source file), hitting print on the Glowforge seldom takes much time to render, meaning the need for a specific “print again” function isn’t quite as pressing. – @dan will correct me, I’m sure if I misread that :wink:

3 Likes

Most definitely repeat print capability!!!

I’m with you on this info4, I envision many repeat prints in my future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had 3d models take 5-10 minutes to slice, but usually it’s within seconds. I can say the same for the glowforge. The file that made me post this thread took between 7-10 minutes every time I wanted to make another one. I can say the majority of the 3d prints I’ve made were sliced faster than that. However, I can also say the majority of my glowforge jobs come in under the minute mark to render as well

3 Likes

Yes the only part of the 3D tool chain that could be described as ponderous is slicing but you only do that once. And it seems Glowforge can take a similar amount of time processing 2D data, so which do you call ponderous?

Of course the actual printing process is much slower on a 3D printer but it has zero setup time and you don’t need to watch over it. I just lift the objects off at the end and wipe the glass with acetone and it is ready to go again.

2 Likes

@dan said above:

Was that feature not enabled when you were doing the job with all the repeats?

No, he said its something theyll put in the hopper. Hopefully soon! But definitely had to trudge my way through 100+ wedding invites at 7-10 minutes a print in rendering time.

1 Like