Risers to Make Lasering Thick Materials EASY

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to treat them like paper 500 speed and 1% power. I’m going to abandon that idea.

I always work my way up from lowest power and fastest speed to highest power and slowest speed when trying out new materials.

1 Like

I finally got around to looking at tray-out stuff and decided that risers like this were a keen idea!

I measured all around my crumb tray. The exterior height varied from a high of 1.500" to a low of 1.486". The inner lip ranged from .131" to .146", and interestingly my left side was on average a bit higher than the right side. I guess I didn’t expect the crumb tray to be optically flat… and it ain’t.

Because I saw more variation on the inner lip, I took more measurements there than the outside dimension.

If I average everything out I get a crumb tray height of 1.350" for my unit, nice to see it’s in the same ballpark as yours. I love it when people post details, thanks.

1 Like

Well, far be it for me to tell you how to run your laser. BUT when you melt ABS you get ABS+some volatiles. When you BURN it you get various toxic compounds.

According to the safety datasheet at http://www.alro.com/datapdf/plastics/plasticsmsds/sds_king_abs.pdf " During a fire, combustion products including but not limited to Carbon monoxide, Carbon dioxide, Hydrogen Cyanide, Styrene, Ethylbenzene and Acrylonitrile may be emitted."

I’m not trying to be a smarty pants but some stuff just should not be vaporized with a laser and ABS fits into that category.

Happy lasering!

Dave

2 Likes

All of those are extremely dangerous: ie can and do cause death. But the thing is, you have to know in what quantity to make a risk assessment because they are also produced in the combustion of wood, acrylic and food.

The rest of the list may be unique to ABS and may be worse for the local environment, but I don’t really know.

2 Likes

I stumbled on an easy fix for this. The top of my “cake taker” is a perfect fir for the base of my dehydrator, and together they can snugly enclose a spool of filament. Overnight in there and brittle PLA is good as new in the morning. :blush:

4 Likes

Really? That tip might have just saved about 30+ spools for me - they’ve been untouched for the last two years, so I had no doubt they were completely ruined. (I’ve got them in buckets with a desiccant, but there’s no way to make them survive two years in this humidity.)

THANK YOU! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the elegant design, Jason. Orientation is sideways on my software, but a quick 270° flip of the X axis made them right. The pointy tops won’t provide much friction to prevent the work from slipping, but if the workpiece has some weight it should stay put.

It’s good for recharging desiccant, too. :blush:

1 Like

I use the oven for that, I buy it by the pound, but you can’t roast PLA. (It tends to turn into a puddle.) :smile:

1 Like

nice work, thank you.

I think Jason made the right decision to 3D Print these. They will hold up much better than slotted ones over time. Maintaining the skills and ability to design in 3D are critical moving forward as tech speeds increase. 3D Printing speeds will drastically increase over the next couple of years and to be keeping 3D skills sharpened is a really solid practice.

Both solutions are great. and thank you for taking the time and sharing Jason.
@ryandewitt

Great design! I don’t have Fusion 360 so I redid it in OpenSCAD. Sized the text to be printable (with Cura) on a 0.5 mm nozzle. SCAD file and STLs for a standard 1.4" measurement enclosed.

7 Likes

Whoops, printed these and the heights weren’t quite right. Will iterate and post revised code tonight…

1 Like

GlowforgeStandoffs.zip (103.4 KB)

OK, this should work correctly. You just need to put in the tray height, the clearance of your Glowforge, and the number of clearance steps (0,1,2)

1 Like

Printed these today on my Dremel and they turned out great! I couldn’t read the text on the original files either, but it printed perfectly on these. Thanks!

Thank You! These will be valuable.

4 Likes

@pubultrastar, you are most welcome! Yours looks like they printed great! Enjoy them and use them well. I use my set all the time!

1 Like

Great idea! I can really use these. any chance you can re-upload? doesn’t appear the link is still working.

Welcome @ajcphoto to the Glowforge Community!

I am unable to get to the file. It says the link is not working, either the file is no longer shared or the address is incorrect. Can anyone help me get the file? Thank you.