I finished the Notre Dame Rose Window Light Box at long last. I was beset with the perils of prototyping, but I think all the kinks are ironed out.
My last post mentioned my interest in rose windows. I love the style of the rose windows at Notre Dame and this one in particular. I watched in horror as it burned and was quite relieved that both the structure and the glass were saved. The actual window does not have openings or glass in the upper corners. I took artistic license and copied the parts from the base - I think it looks better as a square for a lighted piece.
I used the same layout as the first window. Cherry for the top and box, then maple, walnut, and basswood with acrylic for the window and a print of the stained glass at the back. I kept it the same size thinking that it would look well to have the pieces be similar, so it’s 10.5" square, 1.5" deep. Once I had it assembled I decided that I would prefer to have a bit more coverage on the sides, so I’m planning to reduce the opening a few percentage points in order to achieve that.
My only quandry now is which window to do next!