Second art piece!

I finished the Notre Dame Rose Window Light Box at long last. I was beset with the perils of prototyping, but I think all the kinks are ironed out.

My last post mentioned my interest in rose windows. I love the style of the rose windows at Notre Dame and this one in particular. I watched in horror as it burned and was quite relieved that both the structure and the glass were saved. The actual window does not have openings or glass in the upper corners. I took artistic license and copied the parts from the base - I think it looks better as a square for a lighted piece.

I used the same layout as the first window. Cherry for the top and box, then maple, walnut, and basswood with acrylic for the window and a print of the stained glass at the back. I kept it the same size thinking that it would look well to have the pieces be similar, so it’s 10.5" square, 1.5" deep. Once I had it assembled I decided that I would prefer to have a bit more coverage on the sides, so I’m planning to reduce the opening a few percentage points in order to achieve that.

My only quandry now is which window to do next!

77 Likes

Wow!

You could try Montreal’s version next :slightly_smiling_face:

My church has a nice one that I always thought people took for granted. I think rose windows are harder than most scenic stained glass, but those are the ones that get everyone’s attention.

I also like the colors of the one in St Patrick’s in NYC

https://images.app.goo.gl/Prd36v9PBg6uGFV8A

Strasbuorg’s is also stunning. The one in Amuens though looks like a Christmas tree light explosion.

Or you could turn Brunelleschi’s dome into a stained glass. It’s stunning! (& my personal pizza living heart’s favorite)

6 Likes

Thanks! I’ll have to look at Montreal’s. Strasbourg was the first one I did. I posted it here: Strasbourg window. I have part of Amiens drawn already - that’s a good description of it!

4 Likes

Well that’s cool too.

Need them in every window in the house :blush:

6 Likes

Gorgeous! I love the print of the stained glass in the background. Did you use a transparency?

5 Likes

Lovely!

5 Likes

Oooooooo, gorgeous! I’d love to see it at different angles and with the room lights off.

5 Likes

Beautiful window :heart_eyes:
Please tell me your design studio is not on South Park ave.:confused:

4 Likes

beautiful

5 Likes

That is stunning!

3 Likes

The stained glass is actually just a paper print, not a transparency.

1 Like

That’s on the schedule for the weekend - after I fix the faulty controller. :slight_smile:

Fortunately not. :wink: I was able to give Matt and Trey a piece of my mind when they came to set to see the Paris miniature for Team America. I had a whole bunch of people gasping for air laughing, cuz I hollered at them from atop the Eiffel Tower about how I’d had to change my email address and everything. They were quite amused.

5 Likes

Al Aqsa has a gorgeous “rose” inset into more window, but I bet it would make a beautiful box :slight_smile:
Imgur

6 Likes

Thank you! I actually have drawn up a couple of mosque ceilings. The tile work is so gorgeous. This would indeed be lovely - I’ll add it to my list!

3 Likes

Really nice. Very pretty.

How big is the whole piece?

2 Likes

The box is 10.5" square, 1.5" deep.

1 Like

That is awesome. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quite stunning!

1 Like

Outstanding, I used to make stained glass windows and this rivals them. Wonder if the color transparent image underneath could be done with cut acrylic.

1 Like