Simple Marble Run v1.0.5

This is my first attempt at creating my own SVGs. I drew them in markup (text) and tested them in Chrome. Then I used Tinkercad to virtually put them together. I used Inkscape to put them together (like Tetris) in a single SVG for uploading to Glowforge.

I used https://geargenerator.com/ to draw the outer lines for the gear SVGs. I then modified them to my needs.

This was a fun process and I learned a lot. I am a web developer, so writing the SVG in markup was easier since I am used to writing in that language. Once I work out a few more kinks, I hope to upload the SVG, but it would need instructions for putting it together (otherwise it is a crazy puzzle).

I was able to fit it all on a single 12"x20" proofgrade draftboard. It is all pressure fit together (no glue, yet) plus two (2) machine screws (#8-32) and three (3) machine screw nuts and four (4) washers (spacing the wheel axel).

I used 1/2" chrome steel ball bearings.

I might try to replace the wheel-axel screw with a printed axel in a later revision to reduce the need for extra hardware. But, I think the screw in the crank handle is still the best implementation due to the stress of turning the crank.

Thoughts or suggestions?

49 Likes

That looks really awesome. Well done.

2 Likes

Neat contraption! Can you explain what you mean when you said

3 Likes

I think he wrote SVG in a text editor and opened it in Chrome to make sure it looked right.

3 Likes

Wow, you designed these SVG files by hand? Very impressive indeed!

And what an awesome marble machine!

2 Likes

Boggles the mind you designed this in markup! Well done!

2 Likes

Incredible! Props to you, sir!

2 Likes

You are correct. I wrote the SVGs in a text editor. I used some graph paper to draw out some of the structures to make it easier to calculate some of the point coordinates. And used Chrome to test out the results.

3 Likes

Tinkercad (https://www.tinkercad.com/) really helped me envision and test the pieces together before I printed it (so I wasted less material).

I found several issues when I tried to assemble it here and made several adjustments. It is a really cool free web application (but it had a bit of a learning curve to get used to it.)

7 Likes

Nice work. Making a marble run is definitely on my list. I already bought a motor for the one @m_raynsford has designed. Just need to pick a size and order some ball bearings.

2 Likes

I don’t think I have seen his. Do you have a link?

1 Like

He has them scattered everywhere!

4 Likes

I’m impressed. Lots of work and thought figuring these things out, I’m sure. Very cool indeed.

2 Likes

My son helped me get a video of it working.

18 Likes

Thanks for sharing this link! I have seen the wheel method (obviously, I used it), and the stair-climber. But, I really like his elevator contraption and his mini one!

I think I should play around with smaller ball bearings too, I think that could make many designs easier.

3 Likes

wow! great work!

3 Likes

I am impressed that you got this down to a single sheet of proof grade material. Very nice project too. :smiley:

6 Likes

Here is the SVG if anyone else wants to try to create it!

11 Likes

That is really cool! I love machines created on the Glowforge.

3 Likes

This is a great design. I need to learn tinkercad or some cad software.

3 Likes