Simple Marble Run v1.1.6 (No hardware required)

You are absolutely correct. None of the items you mentioned are new to me. I have heard or witnessed them myself.

For a while now I have been meaning to add pictures to the instructions for clarity. (The first iteration of this design was actually described as a “puzzle” because there were no instructions at all.) And I have been playing with adding engravings to help identify sides of pieces (front, back, top, bottom, etc.)

Are you willing to post pictures of your completed project? I love to see how others have done with my design.

3 Likes

Just what you asked for.

9 Likes

Thanks!

I tried updating the main post by adding some images to assist in finding the pieces mentioned in the steps.

1 Like

Bill, I’m strictly a hobby user and will never have the skill or creativity the majority here have. But that is ok, I love my GF, it brings me immense happiness in what I can do with it even with my limited ability and that is what is important. I either use files I find here or elsewhere, make simple things myself or just continue to slowly improve my skills. I am so thankful for the ones here that have shared their knowledge and projects so that I can learn and gain inspiration.

3 Likes

Made it. What a great puzzle. Just enough clues given to solve it. Works great with some 1/2 inch steel balls I found in my rack of many items.

3 Likes

Are you willing to post pictures of your final product? Any issues you ran into?

No major issues. The hardest part, which is also the fun part was figguring out what when where and which parts were actually needed. Photos and videos here.

I had these bits left over with no ill effects. Your nesting is so good that scrap starts to look important.

6 Likes

Two of those pieces look like axle washers. Leaving them out probably won’t effect the design’s function to much. They are just used to make sure the crank gears and handle don’t shift to much during use.

Edit: Actually after reviewing the latest version again, I see there are two extra axle washers… nice job!!

3 Likes

I’m missing something. I can’t download the file to download. On a Mac. Any suggestions.

1 Like

Maybe this will help? (I don’t have a Mac, so I just googled it…)

It’s working on my Mac.

If you have a touchpad on your mac, click on the drawing with two fingers (this is the equivalent of a right mouse click) and you should get a pop-up menu with “Save Image to Downloads” and “Save Image As…” options.

1 Like

Thank you. I got it to download.

2 Likes

Thank you. I got it to download

1 Like

“Bingo”…

1 Like

I just updated the file to include engravings on some of the important pieces. I engraved “Front” on the wheels to help keep them aligned, and I engraved “Bottom” on some of the ramps. I engraved the ramps because there were a couple of times when I assembled them incorrectly, so I thought others might have the same issue.

Edit: Reviewing the updated image, I don’t see the images I added for the engravings… I will need to investigate. I see the image strings in the markup, so I know they are there, but they are not showing in Chrome.

1 Like

Discourse removes embedded bitmaps from SVG.

I’d say make them single line font to score vs. engrave, but you’re doing this by hand, so…

If you want to tell me all the words and dimensions, I could produce an SVG with them by themselves, and you could take a look at the code…

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know. I will just look up how to do that with Inkscape.

@eflyguy, I got the text converted to a single-line font, but I don’t know if I need to do anything special to tell the GF to Score instead of Cut.

I am too tired tonight. I might look at it tomorrow.

I went ahead and updated the post with the text that I have.

1 Like

You can’t do anything in the file. It will come into the GFUI as a cut that you’ll need to change to a score. The automagic that GF designs have where they open up with scores & cuts is some secret voodoo they haven’t shared with us.

2 Likes

Just make sure it’s a unique color so it can be set to score separately from the cuts. Possibly put “score all text” in an unused area of the design layout.

3 Likes