Simple Marble Run v1.1.6 (No hardware required)

Okay, I have to change that then. I think I made the text black in the current iteration. So, I will need to change that.

Edit: I have updated the color on the engraved text, and I have updated the main post.

Amazing design. Thank you. I just got my Glowforge and was looking for something to do as a test cut. It worked wonderfully and I now have an amazing marble machine. I performed the camera calibration before the cut and used the same draftboard so it has cool little Glowforge logos on it. Attached is a picture of the marble machine assembled.

10 Likes

Very nice! I like the GF logo on the back.

Did you run into any issues?

That’s what happens when you use up the draftboard you used for the camera calibration process… :joy:

4 Likes

That is one ambitious “test cut!” Looks great!

Welcome! You’re going to love your new Glowforge.

3 Likes

No issues on the first cut. I broke a few parts as they press fit very tight. Especially the large axle. I reprinted them and could not get the glowforge to cut through the draft board. I guess it absorbed a lot of moisture between cuts or something. That is the consensus on the forums. I set to make 2 passes and it made it through.

1 Like

Interesting… I haven’t heard of anyone having issues with the long axle. How did it break? Was it while trying to install the gears on it?

Yes. The gears required a significant amount of force to push on. The axle collapsed under the pressure, likely due to some amount of torsion from asymmetrical pressure on the gear.

2 Likes

I would guess that draftboard would have among the least resistance to that sort of stress vs plywood or acrylic?

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I have never had that issue.

Those gears do not need to be pressure fit. They just need to stay in place and turn with the crank. I might look at slightly increasing the size of the inner hole so they can be assembled more easily.

The second one that I cut fit smoothly. There was likely a problem with my draft board. I do not think there is a reason to redesign.

1 Like

I greatly appreciate your feedback and the pictures!

1 Like

An thank you again for the design. It was such a fun build, and my wife likes the glowforge now after seeing what it can do.

3 Likes

I love my Glowforge too! This is the first design I have drawn myself. I am still learning quite a lot and have been through several iterations with it!

I hope to come up with even more and continue to post them here.

I finally was able to build one of these! It turned out perfectly! I had some 1/2" balls and they work.
BTW, smaller balls also work fine. I have some 5/16" and they also work fine!

Thanks again for a wonderful design!

PS: I made mine with PG Maple.

8 Likes

Thanks for the pictures; that looks great in the PG Maple! I should try to create it from some of the plywood I have.

Did you have any issues or suggestions?

I was thinking about raising the inner rails to match the outer rails. But, that would just be for looks, not for functionality.

It’s really great as is. I can’t think of a thing that I would change!

I had zero issues with cutting or assembly, other than my own dumb thumbs from time to time! I did use a dab of super glue on a few spots, just to make it more durable. But I really don’t think anything needs to be tighter.

It was a very enjoyable build! I now have one more to make for my other grandkid!
Thanks again!

1 Like

Second that! I cut one and got it all assembled, only to realize I have no marbles. But I have some coming tomorrow, very excited! I also had to glue a few spots but it seems really solid! Thanks for the file!

2 Likes

Can you tell me where you had to add glue? I don’t plan on changing the design for that, but I am curious.

On the top rail where it connects to the side with the crank, and then on the top rail on the other side connecting to the front. I think that was the only two places, everything else fit really well! Hopefully I put it together right, I’ll find out tomorrow haha.

1 Like