Simple Spiral Inlaid Box

Hello there! I’m Stan.

Encouraged by @evansd2, I had a first go at doing a simple inlaid box. It was educational and, feels like it is not terrible.

Designed entirely in Inkscape (instead of my usual, Corel Draw).

Proofgrade cherry hardwood with flip-fit maple inlay. Good but, not snap fit on joints, held with wood glue. Finished with a couple coats of wipe-on poly. The lid fits snugly enough that the magnets were likely unnecessary.

Overall dimensions are 2.5 inches square and 1.55 inches tall. Bottle cap for scale because I am not really into bananas.

Next time, I will try to get the grain of the inlay aligned better.

34 Likes

Turned out lovely! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Simple yet elegant!

2 Likes

Super nice. Makes me want to try again!

2 Likes

Very nicely done! Love the contrasting inlay.

2 Likes

Love the wood choices. I actually like how the grain of the inlay didn’t match the grain direction of the box. It emphasizes the contrast between the two pieces of wood.

Just my opinion, of course.
:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Simple and elegant!

2 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

It looks good!

2 Likes

Very nice result.

2 Likes

That one is easy. Do not get dismayed.
EVERY design you make will always have at least that ONE thing you will do different next time.

Pretty sure it is a curse you have to suffer if a true Maker Of Things.

4 Likes

Absolutely. That’s very familiar. Almost every time I make something, it is some resource constraint that causes me to call it “done” – out of time, out of material, etc. Some projects even get additional revisions months or years later when I have more time for them. “Done” seems like a pretty arbitrary line in the sand most of the time.

Fortunately, iteration is an excellent way to make a design better.

In this case, I actually have about half a dozen things I want to try to improve next time.

3 Likes

I really like you Stan.

4 Likes

Looks good. I need to try this soon myself.

2 Likes