Slate sign installed for goats

Due the huge slate of posts, this is a follow up to the slate sign post I made, finished the frame around the slate today and installed it.

The day started off with a road trip for the boys to my wife’s hospital (the only workplace where pooping over 7 times and peeing on the floor repeatedly is acceptable) as the staff demanded a visit.

(no work was done for an hour…)

Then when I returned the boys to the farm, I finished the sign. The trick was how to hold the sign in place since as shellacked slate it’s not going to easily adhere and there are small foam rubber feet on the back so hard to get it to stay. What I did was the use my router table and route a curve into pieces of cedar (the whole frame is cedar, as that’s the look of the barn) and then use those to make a compression fit of the slate on the chiseled edge. Then I used carriage bolts out of the bottom to attach it to the top rail of the fence:

Totally had to bribe the boys with food to get them to stand near the sign for the photo.

39 Likes

Nice mount! :grinning:

3 Likes

You have the cutest kids.

11 Likes

I’m sure there will be another huge slate of posts for this slate on a post (ok fence). The frame looks great and the boys seem to approve.

2 Likes

Well you had been making a bunch of odd noises by that sign - they were right to be dubious!

Looks great :smiley:

2 Likes

Perfect choice for a sign in the UV/weather. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

If you have a pic of your boys in pajamas my gf will die drowned in cuteness :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t have pajamas but I do have NE Patriots uniforms…

10 Likes

Nice job on the frame for this! Indeed, just the cutest kids!

Needed a small add on sign…

15 Likes

Ohhhhh, the boys got a ride, a visit and extra special attention out of all this! Sign came out great.

1 Like

I don’t want to start an NFL partisan dust up, so I’ll just say the kids dress up those uniforms.

3 Likes

I actually know one of the Krafts (their daughter was a summer intern of mine), and suggested we get their GOAT in a patriots uniform together with my goat in a Patriots uniform for a photo. Haven’t heard back…

2 Likes