So...is this article TRUE? Glowforge not shipping unitl Q2 2016 NOW?

I just hope I get it in time for my 85th birthday, July 2 2016

2 Likes

I found the glowforge about 3 days after the price increase. ā€¦ hadnā€™t seen it before. And I ordered it before I knew about referral links. So I missed the boat twiceā€¦ but I did post my link in a few places and got $100. Off last week. ā€¦ which was a nice suprise because I really didnā€™t expect my link to get usedā€¦ as I am not a lot on social mediaā€¦ just donā€™t have a lot of time to. When I ordered I had been looking for a laser cutter and nothing else seemed as easy to use. Or in my price range. My hope is that the software will live up to the hype. I am worried that the air filter will not be sufficient in handling the smell of burnt leather. But as for shipping datesā€¦ when I ordered I already set my mind to be looking for it no earlier than October 2016 ā€¦ my wife is always telling me not to get my hopes up. If any one from glowforge happens to read this please let me know if you belive the filter will be sufficient or if I would be better off just venting it to outside. IF so ā€¦would be possible to cancel the filter and just keep the glowforge order. For some reason I keep thinking that the filter may put extra stress on the glowforge itā€™s self and possibly make it run hotterā€¦And believe me it stays hot enough in Alabama without added stress.

The filter will be a separate unit that sits below the main Glowforge laser cutter. The filter unit has itā€™s own fans and will take the exhaust of the main unit and direct it through the filters. It does not affect the cooling capability of the main Glowforge unit. Yes you can cancel the filter unit. We can not comment on the efficiency of the filter itself. No one outside of the company has seen one.

Yesā€¦ I read earlier were the filters were not expected to be ready the same time as the glowforge would beā€¦ I m not even going to guess on the time frame of eitherā€¦ I have read on many forums of the fact that it is hard to filter the smell of burning leatherā€¦veg tan is all I use. So no worries about the toxic fumesā€¦ but I work out of the house and have already taken over the kitchenā€¦ if I fill the house with burnt leather smell my loving wife may not be so agreeable. The hope is that eventually I will sell enough holsters to upgrade to a house with a shop. I am hoping the glowforge will be a second set of hands and be able to cut out some patterns giving my head knife a break and me more time to work on other parts of the making process. ā€¦ it would be neat to have my patterns stored and be able to cut out the holster and add custom engravings at the same time. I have had customers ask if I could put a picture on a holster ā€¦ I do stampingā€¦ but maybe this will be a tool that will allow me to say yes when someone wants there favorite hunting dog on there. Southerncharmholsters.com my very primitive website that I have started. I plan on trying to build it this year to go beyond Ebay and Etsy.

1 Like

I took a look at your site and I really like your work and craftsmanship. Weā€™ve been discussing leatherwork quite a bit in some of the other threads and I was curious about your sewing technique. How do you go about sewing your holsters? Are they hand sewn? Do you use an awl to punch the holes or do you use lacing chisels? If you have the time I would love to hear your answers to these. Also join us in the leather working thread! There are a lot of people curious about leatherwork and would love to hear what you have to say!

1 Like

They look like machine sewn. You can see the foot marks.

I did a few thousand by handā€¦ then my hand about gave out and I bought a cobra class 4 machine. I was worried about how the stitching would look. But I after a few My skills improved and I actually like my stich better than when I did them by hand. Not to mention I went from being able to make 3 to 4 a day to making 10 to 15ā€¦ if I really work hatd. Leather is all about the finishing touches. Good conditoners. Good burnishingā€¦ using a good cementā€¦ and most importantly IMHO starting with good leatherā€¦ after all with all the time and workā€¦ gotta start with good material. My machine will not sew leather smaller than 3 ounce. But I can sew up to 7/8 of an inch. If you are working with lighter leathers you would need a different machine. I do my bursting with a dremel and a special cabolla wood burnishing bit.

1 Like

Sorry about the typosā€¦ couldnā€™t view my typing from this tablet for some reason.

Wow, thanks for the answers. I have access to a sewing machine that can handle leather to a degree, but I canā€™t sew a straight line to save my life! Haha. I would always have to hand crank the machine to keep from gunning it. Those things have hair trigger pedals I swear.

I was wondering what glue/cement you are using? I use barge cement and have had very good results, but donā€™t like the toxicity. I have masks, but if you know of anything that works as well without losing brain cells Iā€™d love to hear about it

1 Like

I also use Bargeā€¦I do cut mine with thinner. If you decide to cut yours make sure use Barge thinnerā€¦ for some reason the others want work as well. I Have a fan that I turn on to blow the fumes away from meā€¦ and out the door. The cobra 4 has a big reducer wheel and it is a slow sewing machimeā€¦ Triple walking foot with reverse. ā€¦ a lot easier to use than a standard fast sewing machineā€¦ lots of torque. Make sure your leather is casedā€¦ but not soaked. I even treat mine with some Bick 4 leather conditioner before I sew. Stitches will sit better if you do. Tension is important. ā€¦ but that is something better discussed on a sewing sight. I just noticed I was sounding like a Comercial for the Cobraā€¦ I have only had mine for a yearā€¦ but man it has saved me lots of work and pain in my hands. If you hand stitch, you need to learn the saddle stitch. I was in the hand stitch only camp for a long timeā€¦ then I bought a machineā€¦ good craftsman ship comes out either way. I have seen bad handwork. ā€¦ and I have seen bad machine workā€¦ and they both were mine. Practice and patience. ā€¦ learning tricks with getting the details right. My edges turn out glassy nowā€¦ but when I first startedā€¦ well not so much. Then I learned to use cement and then I found the burnishing bit for the dremmel. ā€¦ I have learned everything the hard way. ā€¦ Self taught. . If you have questions about leatherā€¦ best man to ask is Kevin at springfield leather company. ā€¦ questions about sewing machinesā€¦ ask cobra Steveā€¦ read the forms on leatherworker.net The best advice I have is follow your passion. ā€¦ thatā€™s the difference between work and a labor of love.

2 Likes

you are all talking about getting the hardware ready and not talking about another big thing, this is CLOUD based you think they where planning on having a server for this many users? on top of getting parts you need to make sure they are assembled right ā€œnot always easyā€ and you need to make sure you arnt the goverment insurance site on launch.

I think the last sentence was lost somehow in translation. Not sure what was meant byā€¦ ā€œyou need to make sure you arnt the goverment insurance site on launch.ā€ As far as the cloud goes it wonā€™t matter. Glowforge is using Googleā€™s servers not their own. If itā€™s one or a 100,00 units it wonā€™t matter to us as far as response time. Itā€™s just a cost scaling for the company and they claim that is already factored into the price.

I think zallin_eepc was referring to the Healthcare.gov website when ObamaCare first started. It was pretty much inaccessible for the first week or so due to the number of people trying to access it. I have no concerns about Glowforgeā€™s cloud servers getting overwhelmed on day 1 for the exact reason you stated ā€“ theyā€™ll add more servers to the mix when needed.

Oh. Thanks.

Rhenley yep, but its not a concern I think they got it, but its not just adding more servers to the mix that was my point the healthcare.gov site had the hardware to have worked ā€œnot quick at allā€ but the server side software did not scale AT ALL. They have a lot of functionality and small problems turn big quick. You can also have justā€¦ oddā€¦ stuff happen when adding servers to the mix. Iā€™ve seen 120 virtual servers running on 10 physical they bought 2 new physical hypervisors and all the virtual side mail and sequel server suddenly eat all the ram they are allotted. But then again Iā€™m a hardware, logic level, guy so the software side of things always seems like the hardest most complicated part to me so Iā€™m probably over thinking it
There is a lot of tech going into this thing and Iā€™m shocked that its as cheap as it is regardless and it would be ground breaking for the price it ran g-code over RS232 let alone curve compensation, etch/cut hand drawn stuff, live preview, total awesome wth my $13k cutter wont do that stuff kind of stuff.

ANY way the point I was trying to make my first post is this;
They have to do and have done a crap ton of work most of it no one thatā€™s not working on getting them ready is/has even thought about. If you did not read something, or you expect every thing they said to be exactly what you wanted it to be. sorry its not shipping yet. but for real give them a break. If you find something better that ships now or can make one your self cool they will give you your money back if you ask, just ask nice as they have worked hard to make every one happyā€¦ but its the internet so some never will be.

2 Likes

This is what the page looked like the day I ordered. They went from December to ā€œQ1-Q2ā€, now itā€™s Q2 and into Q3. Iā€™ll bet good money that they move it to Q4 before May.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if ship dates slip but so far they havenā€™t changed at all. Whether we feel the ā€œShipping December 2015ā€ line was poorly worded, disingenuous, or just marketing speak, the intended first shipments of production units has never changed for pre-orders. Q2, (June or earlier) is consistent with the website FAQs statement on day one. Q3 has never been hinted at for pre-orders. Like I said, I wouldnā€™t surprised if shipments slip but we shouldnā€™t be claiming a slide in schedule until the company announces such a change.

I would be very surprised if they didnā€™t slip, but the GF team isnā€™t going to be too concerned about slippage if only a handful of the +/- 9,000 owners are talking about it. Top grade product should be priority #1 and I imagine it is.

1 Like

If it ISNā€™T priority #1, then Iā€™ll be requesting a cancellation. :wink:

1 Like

Havenā€™t you herdā€¦
Dan invested your money in crystal blueā€¦

2 Likes