Star Wars Death Star Kallax Diorama

After seeing @neferene1 's Star Wars Booknook posted recently, I was inspired to re-make my Star Wars diorama. It’s my birthday tomorrow, so this was a project for me and my personal collection. My previous diorama was the Death Star Corridor project put together by Norman Chan from Adam Savage’s Tested, with the files available on Thingiverse. This previous diorama has sat proudly on display since I built it in 2020. The one thing I wanted to improve on is making the new diorama fit perfectly inside a 13"x13" Ikea Kallax cubbie. Here is the build process and results.

*Disclaimer: Please note that I also utilized my Aeon Mira 9 on this project to prevent having to use the pass through slot on some of the bigger panels. All of the windows, trim pieces, control panel, and side walls were cut on my Glowforge. You’ve gotta use all the tools in your shop!

Build Pics

Outer box was made with :proofgrade: Draftboard.

24V Led Strip was used to illuminate the sides and front panel.

Internal box was a combination on Matte black , glossy black, gray, frosted acrylic, with other various scrap colors for the control panel.

Masking tape was used temporarily as the glue set. White paper is used to help diffuse the LED lights and get a more even light through the windows.

Façade pieces on the front to cover the gaps and outer box.

I used a smart plug so I can turn on/off through Alexa or my Home Assistant dashboard. Here is the current state of the Kallax with many of my favorite creations. This Star Wars diorama is the center of it all.

49 Likes

It all looks amazing! And hope you have a happy, happy birthday!

11 Likes

Awesome job!

11 Likes

Happy birthday!!

9 Likes

Very cool

7 Likes

I can just imagine the smile on your face when everything lit up perfectly! :slight_smile:
7s1a2f

11 Likes

Happy Birthday! An excellent gift to yourself!! Looks good at the center of attention.

9 Likes

I was more nervous that it wouldn’t light up. :nerd_face:

7 Likes

That is so cool and quite the project!
Happy birthday tomorrow :partying_face:

10 Likes

Happy early birthday to you! What a wonderful gift to give yourself. I love your curated collection of favorite creations.

6 Likes

How fantastic! Happy Birthday to you!

4 Likes

Happy Birthday, LOVE this! My husband and son are huge Star Wars fans, now I might have to do something like this for them!

5 Likes

Happy Birthday!
Wow, what a great build! I always look forward to your posts in Glowforge User Group, the attention to detail and the beautiful finish work are just fab!

6 Likes

Beautiful!! Thank you so much for going through the process of creating this fantastic build.

5 Likes

Amazing work and attention to detail. I love the huge shelf display of your projects.

5 Likes

This is mine, but much more narrow as a mini book nook

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1460792767/star-wars-book-nook-death-star-empire

Great minds think alike, frosted acrylic with colour change LEDs is really effective on the shelf.

6 Likes

Looks great! Nicely done! A perfect birthday treat.

6 Likes

Happy birthday! That looks amazing in the Kallax. At first I thought it was a flat image from the movie. Well done!

5 Likes

All of your projects are amazing.

3 Likes

Great job. I’m still figuring mine out. Definitely not sure on what size I want yet, but definitely sure I want another wall and ceiling. I plan to do an entire series of different rooms with different scenery. Happy birthday and what a great birthday gift!

5 Likes