Storage box for a spray gun

So, I have a cheap HVLP spray gun I use for dyes, stains, and topcoats on small projects. I had grown tired of throwing all its various parts back into the disintegrating cardboard box it came in, so I decided to make a storage box with custom cut foam inserts to hold all the pieces while not in use.

I challenged myself to construct the entire box without glue, to include the hinges and some sort of latch to keep it closed. Ultimately, I walked back from this challenge a little and used a small amount of glue for a few parts in the latch mechanism, but the box finger joints and the hinges are all friction fit or clip on (or both).

I know hinges and latches are not new territory on this forum and have been covered extensively by others, but I intentionally did not do a deep dive into other people’s solutions as I wanted to see what I could noodle out myself. The latch I came up with is a pretty simple quarter turn job.

Aside from it’s simplicity, this appealed to me because there are no latch components that protrude from the box when the box is open. It also turned out to be pretty secure which I liked. By adding a couple magnets I even got it to seat into the locked position with a satisfying “snap”.

I went through several iterations of a hinge unit and ended up with the following. This collection of parts…

is combined to create this hinge assembly…

which is then “snapped” (with a little persuasion from a mallet) into these cutouts on the back of the box

It took a bit of fiddling to get the tolerances just right, but these hinges turned out to be very sturdy. There is no slop or play to speak of and I doubt they could be removed or disassembled non destructively.

The foam inserts were planned out and cut exactly according to the procedure described in this post.

The author of this Instructable used a cheap camp sleeping mat as his foam source. This was significantly cheaper than many of the other foam options I was able to source, so I ended up using the same thing. I did not do any research myself as to what type of foam it is, but the author of the Instructable seems pretty confident it is made from PE foam which is safe to laser. I used about a third of the $10 mat, so only about $3.50 went into the box. Much cheaper than almost all of the EVA foam I could find.

So anyway, none of the above is new or groundbreaking, just my (hopefully unique) take on some topics that have been covered before by others. My hope is that some of it may be helpful to a few. Cheers!

54 Likes

That is a nice case. I especially like the way you made the hinges and the latch.

4 Likes

This is brilliant. I did something similar with the square peg/round hole bit, but it never occurred to me to make the pieces separately - I did mine out of the side walls, which was a PITA to get into place!
image image

10 Likes

Love the engineery details!

7 Likes

Oh that is a sweet looking box. I especially like your latch design.

5 Likes

Excellent practical cut!

3 Likes

Great solution to the cardboard box. Both the hinge and latch are neat pieces. The magnet addition is cool! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thanks! The magnet was my son’s suggestion. He is rather proud of himself, and rightfully so!

4 Likes

I am definitely going to use that idea in the future.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that’s really all I have to offer this forum. I am constantly blown away by the raw creative and artistic abilities of so many people here. That’s just not my groove, so to speak. Wish it were though…

2 Likes

Oh, but we NEED the engineery stuff. Post more!!!

3 Likes

Do not underestimate yourself @bdandreson, this is a great project that contributes a lot of inspiration and ideas for the rest of us. Keep up the wonderful work!

6 Likes

Lovely box! Well done!

3 Likes

Great work! That latch work looks pretty new, forumwise, to me. Nice execution! We need more engineery stuff. It will expand the use of GF, IMO, more then the artful stuff! Of course, I greatly appreciate the artful stuff, too!

6 Likes

That was quite an upgrade.

3 Likes

Awesome box and very interesting details! I too like the satisfying snap of a magnetic closure.

3 Likes

Love your solutions. Thank you for the tip on the camping mat.

1 Like

Really nice job and great post. I love hearing. Bit about how people solve problems and tinker. One of my favorite parts of the GlowForge

3 Likes

Brilliantly noodled! Do not hesitate to share your work. We have LOTS of mundane things, and lots of artistry. And we love it all.

2 Likes

Wow, what a neat design.

1 Like