Stuck in Cooling Down

My GF is stuck in cooling down mode… it started the first cut of the day and did about 5 cm before going into cooling down mode… it did sit idle for 20 minutes before starting

It is not a hot day

Current room temperature is 20 C

The cable to the printer head is securely in place

There is no blockage to the vent on the right side underneath

The filter at the back it totally clear and blasting out air

The exhaust hose goes horizontally straight to outside and is completely clear, no bends or blockages

It’s been in cooling down mode for over 20 minutes a couple of times

The laser head is not hot

I have switched off and restarted several times

This is a refurbished machine

There is no excess smoke

Same material as I’ve been using since I’ve had a GF 2 years

Can you help?

20ºC seems like it should be cool enough…the temperature that really matters is not the head, but the fluid in your reservoir, so if you’ve been doing a lot of lasering and it’s a basic model, it could theoretically have gotten warm enough to throw an error. There could also be warmer air coming in your vent hose, making the internal temp higher than the ambient temp in your room. If you have a thermometer you can stick inside the closed machine it might help to see what the temperature actually is nearer to the cooling fluid.

There’s also a chance you could have a bad temperature sensor. Support will be along soon to weigh in, hang in there!

thank you for your reply

It’s about 18C outside… a cool day

There is simply nothing inside the machine that is warm let alone hot… everything is cool to the touch

Well, yeah, but remember “cool to the touch” means pretty much anything below 37ºC, so… :wink: A thermometer will give you more accurate feedback.

I just put the thermometer inside on top of the cooling box… its 18c

Darn. Sounds like it may be a sensor issue, then. :frowning:

Whats the usual fix for that?

Send the machine back? (for a third time?)

I think so. :frowning:

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints, and compared it with the details you’ve provided. We’ve made a small change on our end. Could you please reboot your Glowforge and perform an additional test print and let us know how it goes?

We’ll make sure to keep the thread open until we’ve heard back!

Hello MarcM

It did start working the next day… but today it’s back with the cooling warning… I can feel nothing that can be comprehended as warm inside the gf… I have only done a few cuts this morning

Are you able to do the same this as you did last time?

@MarcM

I have switched the printer off for 3 hours and returned… switched it on again and then it had trouble centring the head… switched it off again, moved head to the front, switched on again and it centred fine but then repeated same cooling problem

Are you able to do whatever you did last time?

I’m sorry that your unit got stuck cooling down again. So that we can investigate this further, may I have a few photos of the interior of your unit?

Assuming you’re using a smartphone, try these tips for great photos:

• Use flash
  • Zoom in using the digital zoom
  • Hold the camera/phone far enough back to get good focus.

Here are the photos:

Motor on the laser arm (and surrounding):

Inside, left of machine:

Pull the laser arm all the way forward.

Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:

Left side of front door:

You can share the photos here, or email them to us at support@glowforge.com. We’ll take a close look and then follow up with next steps.

Just so you know you missed out the photo that comes after “Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:”

I nearly missed taking it

Just switched on again today and it is still coming up with “ALERT: Cooling”

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.