Stuck on cooling down

My Glowforge has been stuck on cooling all week. I have cleaned everything. Lifted it up on saw horses and put a fan blowing on the right side. Moved it to the coolest room of the house. No matter what I do, it goes straight to cooling. I’ve tried Glowforge customer service online chat multiple times last week. Each time we reached a point where they said they would be emailing me me next steps and then I wouldn’t get an email. Called the customer service line on Friday and reached the same point. No email. I tell them each time that I was supposed to receive an email, but still nothing. It’s 67 degrees in the room where my Glowforge basic is. Still just goes straight to cooling. Any ideas?

1 Like

Have you tried resetting the glowforge entirely?

Hold down the print button for ten seconds, the button will turn teal colored. You will then go through the initial setup like when you first got the glowforge. Might be worth a shot if you haven’t done it yet.

8 Likes

Yep, tried that today. No luck.

1 Like

Huh.

Have you tried (this is dumb and a longshot…) leaving the glowforge open for a while?

Maybe hot air is getting in your exhaust and heating up the inside of your unit.

If that’s what is happening, leaving it open would let the inside cool down to room temp, then try again?

3 Likes

Yep. Even tried blowing a fan in it. And then tried blowing a fan on the air intake. And then put ice packs on the fan as it blew into the air intake. I tried removing the exhaust hose just to see if air coming into it was the issue. No change. Still went straight to cooling down after all of these things.

1 Like

I don’t know where the sensor is. @MyDogsThinkImCrazy any bright ideas about how to isolate a potentially defective or disconnected temperature sensor?

5 Likes

No help on the cooling part, but likely either your email program or your ISP is blocking the :glowforge: emails - add them to your safe list (depending on your program, having them in your contacts will do it) so they get let through.

3 Likes

I get the emails of the chat transcripts. I get the emails they send me asking for photos during our chats and phone discussions. But I don’t get the emails they say they are going to send me at the end of the conversation. Every time. Nothing in my junk either.

2 Likes

I have noticed a bit more posts on facebook about cooling down issues. Are you familiar with how to download your machines logs?

Do tell - when has there ever been an update that you can prove ruined your day. Your machine may have a failed sensor or component, but you seem to have decided its a backend problem. I’ve had mine for over five years and have yet to have an update cause a problem. YMMV, of course…

As per being greedy, there are multiple 100% free options for bringing designs into the GF gui. The machine is 100% functional without subscribing to the premium service. In what way is this greedy?

5 Likes

No idea how to do that.

Here you go:

1 Like

Is it telling you it needs to cool down on the GFUI? A yellow light is an error but not necessarily overheating. The sensor is in the head and any break in the path will show a heat error. Also, the laser might be overheating the head. I would check the mirror that it is clean and straight. A few folks have not had the mirror straight and made a mess. Also, the head fan (inside the head) can overheat the head. I have discovered that when that happened, the head was warm to hot when I touched it. So the temp gadget was actually working though the air temp was quite cool.

1 Like

Checked it all. It just keeps going to “cooling down” and I get nowhere. Glowforge has now offered a refurbished machine.

1 Like

Think repairing without waiting the months of waiting for your machine to be repaired.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.